Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to vertically center text in a rectangle text in ArcGIS Pro?

11-29-2018 11:52 AM
ChrisDawson
Occasional Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Pro to update some of our old poster maps. I am trying to dynamically label individual detail maps on the poster. I have a title for each of the detail maps in a "rectangle text" item. I'd like the text in this item to be vertically centered. Based on the Format Text dialog, this seems to be possible. In fact, it works for regular text, say with a marker background, but not for rectangle text items. Am I missing something?

Tags (2)
37 Replies
arthurV
Occasional Contributor

I just want to say, this is ridiculous. 2 years+ and no answer to this bug.

This is a very simple and should be a basic and +++ priority. Anyone should be able to verticaly center align text in a layout element. This is possible in QGIS since ever.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello everyone, 

Please see my previous post for detailed info on this.

I understand that you want this capability and that disabling the control is not the ideal solution. Thanks to those that have added their support to Allow Rectangle Textbox to Grow/Shrink and Vertically Justify Text. 

While the number of kudos helps weigh the relative importance of the idea, posts that highlight the importance of this functionality to your workflow help us get a fuller picture - even though the issue is seemingly simple and straightforward additional information can add weight to the request.

Please continue this conversation on the idea thread, as opposed to this question thread.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
RyanBohan
Frequent Contributor

Was asked to help print a paper map, why is the Vertical alignment disabled?  I am on Pro 2.9.5, it seems I have to eyeball the Offset Y.

RyanBohan_0-1672336794630.png

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ryan, 

Its disabled because it is not a valid setting given the context. I provided a link in the previous post (10-20-2022 06:13 AM) that explains this situation. Are you able to access this post? If so, do you have any specific question concerning the explanation?

Tom

0 Kudos
RyanBohan
Frequent Contributor

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your fast response.  I rarely actually print maps these days, so could be a lack of knowledge on my part. 

What is the best way to add a "Title" to the print layout?  I am trying to recreate the image below.  

If I don't use the eyeballed Offset Y, I get the text at the top of the box, which is not desired.

RyanBohan_0-1672343926940.png

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ryan, 

There is no one "best" way to add a "Title". It all depends on what you want to do. 

There are 2 basic graphic text element types: Straight text elements (and curved text) and polygon text elements (rectangle, circle,. etc..). The help topic Add graphics, text, and pictures in a layout provides more info. If you are not interested in the text wrapping into new lines (within the bounding box that you initially drew when inserting the legend) I would use straight text and just create a graphic rectangle for the "box".

Tom

0 Kudos
RyanBohan
Frequent Contributor

Thank you, Tom

I was unable to find an existing idea for Vertically Centering Text.  Community, please give it a kudo if you would like to see this feature.  Thanks

Vertical Center a Rectangle text element in a layo... - Esri Community

Jimmy_Simpson
Regular Contributor

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/allow-rectangle-textbox-to-grow-shrink-and/idi-p/9617...

There are several ideas that mention it, maybe not as direct as yours. All that ESRI has to say about it that I have seen is that it isn't possible the way they implement text boxes and they aren't going to change it. Trust me, wish they would.