Select to view content in your preferred language

In ArcGIS Pro I would like to be able to rotate the map to a custom rotation.

04-04-2017 08:31 AM
ElisaCoyle1
Occasional Contributor

It is important for our use to be able to rotate the map to a set rotation of 338.68.  This allows our primary streets to display horizontally and it fits better in the map layouts for our use.  In ArcGIS Pro you only have the choice of the following rotation angles: 45, 90, 135, 180, 225, 270 & 315.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Although there is a dropdown of a few values that you mentioned, you should be able to type your value in the box.

Think Location
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, in the Format Map Frame Pane, you can type in any numeric value from 0-360 you like.   Just tested it in ArcGIS Pro 1.4.1.

HarrisonThomas1
Occasional Contributor

This only changes the rotation of the Map Frame, not the data that resides in the map. Using ArcGIS Pro 1.4.0

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You have Rotate tool for rotating any feature in a map.

Move, rotate, or scale a feature—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Although, if your data is georeferenced, it is not a good practice to rotate your data. You can just rotate the data-frame for viewing in Map Layout.

Think Location
0 Kudos
HarrisonThomas1
Occasional Contributor

Sorry let me clarify, I'm not looking to permanently rotate my data, just the map data frame in a similar fashion as the original user said. Rotating in layout view does not accomplish this for me.

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by
Frequent Contributor

It looks like that only ArcMap allows the custom rotation of the data frame for the time being.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-eOJGGFvFrs-8
Deactivated User

ArcGIS Pro does allow you to custom-rotate the map, but it isn't immediately obvious. In Map Properties under General, there is a dropdown for Rotation. When you open the dropdown you'll only see preset rotation values (0, 45, 90). However, you can ignore those and simply type in whatever rotation value you want (decimal or integer, positive or negative) in the box.

Custom-rotate maps in ArcGIS Pro using Map, Properties, General

JosiahPoyitt
Occasional Contributor

Josh is correct.

Ignore the dropdown arrow, and simply type 338.68 into the box

0 Kudos
AlexNereson
New Contributor

Does anyone know if there's a way to implement this rotation with Python? I am able to get the map view to zoom to the extent of my selected features with the following script (where 'anno' is the feature class to be zoomed to):

aprx = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject("CURRENT")
activeView = aprx.activeView
activeView.camera.setExtent(mf.getLayerExtent(anno, False, True))

But I can't yet rotate the map view to best display my features.

I was able to use the camera object's 'heading' property to do something similar for the map frame in layout view, but when I tried variations of the following command for the map view, it doesn't work in the ArcPro python window or with a script tool. No error thrown, just doesn't apply any changes.

activeView.camera.heading = -90
0 Kudos