Select to view content in your preferred language

Importing 3D models (.3ds & .obj) to ArcGIS Pro

01-03-2023 02:24 AM
Cindy-GIS
New Contributor

Hello everyone, I am a ArcMap user, and ArcGIS Pro is quite new to me. And now I need to visualize some 3D models in ArcGIS Pro, but I got some issue.

I downloaded the 3D models from a package. I tried the 3D models in 2 different format: .3ds and .obj: 3ds folder ( .3ds, .att and .jpg) , obj folder ( .obj, .mtl and .jpg). 

I applied the "Import 3D Files" tool and got different results

3ds: The model is placed at a correct coordinate but the model is missing the texture, some building is shown in grey and red. 

CindySHKP_1-1672740664858.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obj: The model is not placed correctly even I have define the Coordinate system before running the "Import 3D Files" tool, part of the photorealistic texture can be shown.

CindySHKP_0-1672740475368.png

Question: How to place the model in the correct location and what's wrong with the texture display?

Your help is much appreciated!

Cindy

3 Replies
Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I am having the same issue with the texture display not fully working, were you able to find a solution?

I ended up creating a case for it. They claimed it was a bug, but that they couldn't reproduce it. However I know I am not alone in this.

0 Kudos
TelmaFernandes2
New Contributor II

@Cindy-GIS  I'm having the same issue when importing an obj file into ArcGIS Pro, I lose the texture of the building. Were you able to find a solution?

0 Kudos
anbinh
by
Occasional Contributor

Not sure if anyone is still having this issue. For me as of today, I still have this issue of missing texture or material after importing OBJ or FBX into ArcGIS Pro. Having tried few rounds, GLB format would work fine for me. 

If anyone is still having this issue, can try getting your 3D model in GLB format with its texture applied. Using GLB in ArcGIS Pro will keep its texture. 

Regards,

AB