Select to view content in your preferred language

Import XML Invalid XML file

Jump to solution
09-11-2024 08:12 AM
L77
by
Frequent Contributor

My coworker gave me a surface from CAD and the file type is XML.

I want to open the file in ArcPro, then create a map tile package of the surface to publish it in AGOL to view in a web map.

I am getting this error message:

L77_1-1726067469978.pngL77_2-1726067484884.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

Your .xml file is a LandXML surface.  If you have the 3D Analyst extension licensed, you could use the LandXML to TIN tool to import it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
L77
by
Frequent Contributor

@DanielFox1 I moved the xml file to a different location that doesn't have a hyphen, but it still has the same error.

L77_0-1726069696010.png

I uploaded the xml file here.

0 Kudos
L77
by
Frequent Contributor

I am using ArcPro 3.2.1.

I tried adding other xml files that our engineers are using in CAD and they all seem to get the same error message.

0 Kudos
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

The tools for working with XML Workspace Documents don't work for any XML file, they work for one very specific Esri format of XML data.  An "XML Workspace Document" is a geodatabase that's been converted to XML, a CAD file exported to XML wouldn't be using that same XML schema.

L77
by
Frequent Contributor

@MobiusSnake Do you know if there is a tool I can use to work with the files in ArcPro?

0 Kudos
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

It's impossible to say without knowing exactly what XML schema it is, there are countless types of XML.  For example, KML (often used in Google Maps and Google Earth) is one type of spatial XML schema, GML (Geographic Markup Language) is another, XML Workspace Documents are another, and there are many others as well.  CAD may even export its own CAD-specific XML format, I couldn't say.

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

Your .xml file is a LandXML surface.  If you have the 3D Analyst extension licensed, you could use the LandXML to TIN tool to import it.

0 Kudos