Import SketchUp file

08-29-2018 02:44 PM
AprilChipman
Occasional Contributor III

I've got a SketchUp file that I would like to import into ArcPro (or ArcMap) in order to create an interactive webmap.

I've got 3D Analyst, and am trying to use the Import 3D Files tool, but keep getting an error: "model more recent than reader"

Is there another way to get the features and attributes from SketchUp into ArcGIS? Should I have more files than one *.skp?

Is there a way to determine the version of the SketchUp model by just having an .skp file?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
AprilChipman

The multipatch is a single feature with a single attribute.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay - select the single feature and select the Explode command on the Modify Features pane that makes individual features from a multipart line/polygon.  The only negative to this is that there will be no way to group the features according to type unless you do it manually.  Perhaps the better route is to select out the objects by type in SketchUp as you're doing now and create each layer by layer type.

0 Kudos
AprilChipman

The Explode doesn't work. I can select the single feature, but then the command button at the bottom never becomes active.

I tried it on this version, with everything, and on the test version with just a single layer. Same outcome.

Sounds like I'm going to be able to add SketchUp to my list of known software by the end of this...

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I suspect it may not work with Multipatch hence it's grayed out.  I think you're correct about adding SketchUp to your list of known software.  If you want me to take a look at the data, you can send it to rleclair@esri.com.  If it's sensitive data, then no worries.

0 Kudos
VictoriaBeckley1
New Contributor II

Hey, I have a sketchup model that I'm trying to import into pro, and it is only one building, so I hope I won't have the issues you had with needing to explode it and such. But I'm having trouble with the import. 

I downloaded and installed the data interoperability extension, and am trying the quick import, but I can't get it to allow me to use a .skp. Did you add the data format somehow?

Thanks,

Victoria

0 Kudos
DavidBrooks5
New Contributor III

It seems that ESRI aren't focussing a great deal of support in this area unfortunately. I've spoken with numerous developers, and it appears that we could do with a sketchup plugin that would enable the creation of a model hierarchy based on the individual sketchup layers. Possibly just an automation that creates individual multipatch FCs linking to a layer file.

BabuKE
by
New Contributor

Has this ever been added to ArcGIS Pro? I Have a whole city model in layers and such an import function would save me countless hours

0 Kudos