I'll Bite, how to I create a new folder c:\bw\temp from within ArcGIS Pro 1.1.1?

11-10-2015 07:03 AM
BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Hi All

I'll Bite, how to I create a new folder c:\bw\temp from within ArcGIS Pro 1.1.1?

I assumed I would use the project tab but when I navigate to c:\bw, it doesnt allow me to right click, new add folder, what am I missing?

it has to be really simple, In 10.3 I would use my catalog pane to add the directory.

Thanks

Brian

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Pro_add_folder.png

BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan, I knew I had to be looking right at it!

In addition, can I also create a new shapefile without running the create feature tool?

I do like the arc catalog version of right click, new, shapefile option and I haven’t seen the same in Pro?

Thanks

Brian

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Pro_create_feature.png

0 Kudos
BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Dan

Ok, now I'm confused(more), the Tab you showed Insert, add folder, still doesnt allow for creating of a "new" Folder, it just asks to connect to a folder. I would like to just create a new folder on my Hard Drive.

And on the edit, create tab, I want to create a new shapefile in a directory (hopefully the one I just created above) for further editing and analysis, not add features to an existing shapefile.

I really appreciate your help on these questions

Thanks

Brian

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ahhh you are using ArcMap terminology, there is new terminology...while you read this, I will try to make some more screen grabs

Babblefish translator between ArcMap 10.3.x and ArcMap Pro

EDIT

I'm back!!!

use the toolbox...you will be eternally organized

Pro_toolboxes.png

BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Dan

Thanks for the help, I now found that but I was hoping for a quick and easy similar to how 10.3 catalog style of creation for both folders and Shapefiles. it appears I have to go through tools and such to accomplish simple tasks which up to this point why I keep going back to 10.3. I will continue to check back with acrGISPro to see if any tasks become simpler besides universal editing. I thank you for your quick info on my questions.

Brian

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I didn't notice the difference except for the connect to folder and stuff because I never used ArcCatalog except to create Network Datasets.  I have been a long time user of ArcToolbox and I just keep it open in Pro since I can figure out where everything is.  There is more in Pro, since they seem to have consolidated some catalog stuff there.  So I guess the transition is going to be different for those that relied on ArcCatalog than those that used Arctoolbox more.  Good luck

PS  

keep this bookmarked in your browser for quick links  just expand the tree portions to the left

ArcGIS Pro tool reference—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos