How do I upgrade annotation for use in Pro?

Jump to solution
08-29-2018 07:44 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I looked up in the help how to upgrade my annotation to be editable in Pro.  I saw I should run the Upgrade Dataset tool (which by the way is not named correctly as I am attempting to upgrade a annotation feature class not a dataset).  So far this is good until I run the tool and get a warning that says the dataset cannot be versioned.  Ok, so I unregistered the dataset that the annotation feature class resides in and ran the tool again.  I get the same error.  The error is here: 000100: The dataset cannot be versioned.—Help | ArcGIS Desktop   and is not very helpful.  I understand why it would need to be unversioned but I don't know how to get rid of this error since I've already unregistered it as versioned.  I'm using 2.2.1.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

After several different calls to Tech Support I finally got my geodatabase to upgrade and now I can also upgrade my annotation.  It had something to do with the sde user in SQL Management Studio.  Its sad these days that you have to be an IT guru to do some things in GIS.  

Specifically here is how my Support Analyst wrote it up:

we were able to resolve the issue after resyncing the "sde" login to the database and granting it db_owner role and then running upgrade geodatabase tool on the database. This behavior is due to an existing defect. 

Here are the details of the defect:
BUG-000100778 : Upgrade geodatabase tool at 10.5 fails with error [sde_branches : Error (-96)  DBMS error code: 0]

We had to also first upgrade to a 10.5 database before upgrading to 10.6.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Josh:

If you import an mxd to Pro that contains annotation, this process does not automatically upgrade the annotation to be able to be edited in Pro?

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Nope, and I found that out the hard way.  I was editing a new annotation feature class and was trying to make sure it didn't overlap an existing one created in ArcMap, I wanted to move the older annotation slightly and discovered I couldn't edit it which is how I got to this point. Check out this link.  

Upgrade Dataset—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

What release of your geodatabase are you using?  10.6?  10.5?  etc.  In reviewing the AGP Help for upgrading ArcMap annotation to AGP annotation data models, the geodatabase has to be upgraded to the current release.  Then one may run the Upgrade Dataset GP tool.  If unregistering your annotation feature class as versioned using AGP does not work, try to do it in ArcMap.  Then return to AGP and see if you can Upgrade the dataset.  Lastly, the documentation says versioned annotation feature classes cannot be upgraded.  So a few things to sort out here. 

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Thats odd, I thought I had already upgraded the geodatabase but its still reporting it to be 10.4.1.  More hiccups as I try to upgrade the geodatabase and in both ArcMap and Pro I'm told it cant do it because something's still connected.  I've gone in and removed all of the connections except the current one and it still wont work.  UGH!

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Do you have any services running referencing your Enterprise GDB?  If so, shut those down and attempt the upgrade again.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Yes, the services were referencing it, so I stopped them all and even rebooted my machine.  I still got the same error even though the only connection listed was my current one.  I have to bring my services back up as my users need them so I am at a stand still on this.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a tech support call.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you upgraded to ArcMap 10.6 as that is the equivalent ArcMap version to Pro 2.2.1?

I'm a bit confused about ESRI's upgrade messages for enterprise gdbs.  In ArcMap 10.5.1 I click on the Properties of an SDE database connection and is shows below so the Upgrade Geodatabase button is grayed out and not enabled:

But if I go to the Properties of an SDE database connection in Pro 2.2.1 (equivalent to 10.6) it shows below where the geodatabase is up-to-date but it should not be for Pro as 2.2.1 is equivalent to 10.6 and the SDE geodatabase is still at 10.5.1 so it should be able to be upgraded in Pro to match the version. 

Robert or Kory Kramer can you explain how this is working as eventually my org will need to upgrade annotation in SDE to be able to be edited in Pro?

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

That does appear to be my issue but as I said to Robert above, I can't get the upgrade to work even when it appears there are no connections to the database.  However, in Pro right now it says 0 of 1 users connected and there is a listing in the locks list so I'm confused here.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos