Select to view content in your preferred language

Hidden memory-limit for scatter plots?

03-05-2024 10:41 PM
Labels (1)
BenjaminHaske
Emerging Contributor

When trying to create a scatterplot for certain rasters (e.g. UAV orthophoto with 4.4 cm GSD, 8bit, 12299x10730 px), I get an error message "Not enough memory to create the chart".

We were able to replicate the error with different datasets and workstations (64GB to 128 RAM, NVDIA Quadro RTX 4000 and 5000). All produce the same error, while Task Manager shows that memory or other resources are nowhere near the limit.

I contacted Esri Germany's support and they were able to replicate the error (also for feature layers) but could not resolve it. They suspect that there is a fixed memory reservation for data to be processed for scatter plots, but it is not shown anywhere.

Do you have any ideas? Can you reproduce the "bug" or am I missing something?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
GeeteshSingh07
Frequent Contributor

@BenjaminHaske, similar bug was logged with matrix heat chart: https://support.esri.com/en-us/bug/creating-a-matrix-heat-chart-with-a-larger-number-of-re-bug-00015...

However, it was marked 'As Designed'.

BenjaminHaske
Emerging Contributor

So "It's not a bug, it's a feature"? 🙂

If so, it could at least be documented somewhere.

0 Kudos
ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Hi @BenjaminHaske ,

Thanks for the question! I'm having trouble reproducing what you've described with feature class and raster datasets. There shouldn't be any limitations on how many rows the scatter plot can handle--though it will likely take some time to draw when the dataset is very large.

A few questions:

1. What version of Pro are you using?
  2. Does the chart display the "Not enough memory to create the chart" message immediately, or does it display after a prolonged period of time where chart creation is "in progress"?
  3. It looks like the dataset you were using originally is fairly large if you were creating a scatter plot of the pixel bands. Have you tried any smaller datasets, and if so, did they draw correctly?
  4. I understand it may not be possible, but if you are able to share any datasets that you used, that would help us immensely. Please feel free to reach out to me at callen@esri.com.

Thanks!
Chris

0 Kudos
BenjaminHaske
Emerging Contributor

Hi Chris,

thank you for your support. The "bug" appeared in a task for our students this semester. We were initally using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1, but because it did not occur in the last semesters, I also tried the versions 3.0.6 and 3.1.4. with the same result. The datasets for the last semesters must have been slightly smaller.

The message displays after several minutes. If I use a smaller dataset, the correct scatter plot is displayed in seconds. The workaround for the students is to export the raster with a bigger resolution (e.g. 0.1 m x 0.1 m) and create the scatter plot then.

I will send you a data et with which I was able to reproduce the error (not the original raster, where the error first occurred).

Best regards

Benjamin

ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Thank you for the information! I will follow up through email.

0 Kudos
ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Hi @BenjaminHaske ,

Thanks again for sending along the data. Just following up to let you know that this will be fixed in Pro version 3.3.

Take care,

Chris

0 Kudos