Fully qualified field names

585
6
05-01-2019 06:31 AM
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Anyone else having an issue with Pro not recognizing when you UNcheck the "maintain fully qualified field names" box when running a join? Even though I uncheck the box, it adds the full table name and I have to unjoin and rejoin. Usually I have to do this 3-5 times before it actually works. And yet other times it works the first time. Very frustrating, especially when I have to do an append right after the join and my field mapping doesn't work because the field names are all jacked up.

Tags (2)
6 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Frequent Contributor

I have a suspicion that #BUG-000116292 When joining two tables together in ArcGIS Pro, the order of the fields resets to the original order and all fields become visible even when some were set to be invisible or #BUG-000116699 After selecting 'Download Map' in ArcGIS Pro, fields that are supposed to be invisible appear when trying to run the Add Join operation are likely the cause of your problem. Both are in Product Plan, so hopefully fixed after 2.4 Some specific workflow steps including flavor of DB and version might help us drill down, and either ESRI can confirm one of those bugs is also the cause of this error, or a call to TS is needed to get a new bug logged. I think 000116292 is the most likely issue here, though. Same behavior, just different thing is effected. 

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Yes - having this same issue.  I am joining a file GDB table to a file GDB feature class.  I think this is a recent issue, as I have done the same operation a month or two ago and didn't have the problem. Or maybe this is the randomness of this issue you describe?  I am using version 2.3.2.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

It happens with all joins - table to table, table to feature class, etc. But some days it works fine the first time, other days I have to do it several times before it sticks.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor III

This happening to me in 2.4.0 when using Add Join --> Copy Features in model builder. Initially, the join table was a CSV file. But I tried using the Table to Table tool to import it into a FGDB and then do the join. But the fields were still named table_field.

I believe I had this problem in ArcMap as well. 

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor III

UPDATE. This checkbox is available in both the Add Join tool and as an environment variable for the entire geoprocessing model. Initially, I only unchecked this setting on the Add Join too. But after I unchecked this setting in the model environment, the field names were no longer fully qualified - i.e., it worked as intended.

ESRI staff.  Please consider adding some text to the Add Join help page explaining that this setting needs to be set on the model level as well as the tool level. Thanks!

Highlighted
New Contributor III

Still an issue in 2.4.2 .  This poses big challenges for doing fairly straight forward stuff with joins.  As a matter of fact,  many geoprocessing tools at tyhis 2.4 stage of ArcPro get confused with joins and selections and updates on joined tables and act very funny.  Sometimes the error messages refer to tables that I haven't worked with for months.  It may be that I need to completely re-install arcPro. But I'm a little worried that may make things even worse.   Coding with model builder, these days feels like like playing blind-man's bluff in a dark basement with rabid raccoons. 

When the geoprocessing tools start acting like this, it reminds me that the colored boxes that we drag around in model builder are trying to write and maintain code.  Obviously this is not easy.  It seems like there there are fragments of code that break off and do not get cleaned up.  They sort of sit around and cause random problems, but there is no way to actually see what is going on, such as you might have had back when you could export your model as a python script.  Food for thought.  I have found that sometimes you can leave some of that crap behind if you copy and paste the contents of the sick model model into a completely fresh one.  With tools like these, Superstition is sometimes your most helpful instinct. It was also that way with AML back in the day.  Maybe this is why I have a perverse affection for ESRI tools!

I found a helpful workaround for the forced renaming of field names associated with the inability to turn off fully qualified field names. :  Create a new feature class or table using the original.  Then use the Append or Merge tools to remap the messed up column names back to their original names.  Very tedious but partially effective.  

bye!

Reply
0 Kudos