Select to view content in your preferred language

Finding Spatial/Temporal Distances for Survivability Analysis

09-21-2022 10:22 AM
Labels (1)
MitcheyKM
New Contributor

Hello! I am working with a proprietary dataset, so I can't post the actual data, but I've got an equivalent example.... 

I want to calculate the likelihood that a bird will be killed when a cat loiters in an area for a certain amount of time. Ex: the likelihood that a bird dies increases the longer a cat stays in the same area.

I have two datasets: the first is point features of the cat's location. This database is almost 500k features in size and contains lat/long for the cat as well as the time of those locations (the database is 6 months of cat tracks). They can be visualized to see where the cat is walking around the neighborhood, and clusters are visible when the cat lingers in the same area. The second dataset is a database of birds that were killed in the neighborhood during the same 6 months and again contains lat/long and time data. This dataset is almost 250k features in size.

I know I cannot do the survivability analysis in ArcPro, but I want to use Arc to calculate spatial / temporal separation between the two datasets. To generate a near table for spatial distances is possible, but also time consuming. 

My ideal output would be a table depicting only those "intersects" in space/time with parameters I define. Example:

Any bird that dies within 1 hour of a cat being within 100 meters

Initially I tried to do a clustering algorithm to find only those instances where a cat was loitering in a particular area for a set amount of time. This helps to cut down the size of the data, and I have start / end times corresponding to the cat being in the same area for a set amount of time. So a second way of phrasing the question would be:

Any bird that dies within 1 hour of a cat that was loitering for at least 2 minutes within 100 meters of the bird

I haven't been able to get the Trace Proximity Events function in Arc Pro or any of the Crime Analysis tools to give me an output that helps me, so looking for any input from the community on processing tools that could highlight the spatial/temporal correlations so I can then run the survivability analysis. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
0 Replies