Field Map Not Working

03-12-2019 06:54 AM
JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

I've kind of had this issue for the last few versions of ArcGIS Pro.  When trying to perform an operation such as Append or Merge that uses the field mapper, the field mapper doesn't retain the modifications that I specified.  For example, if I change a field from "Prefix" to "ROADPREDIR", when I click away the mapper reverts to "Prefix".

To work around this, I've had to use the Alter Field tool for each field that I'd like to change when migrating data.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or what.  Just putting this out there.

Tags (2)
6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you using python scripting to perform this field mapping?

Does the same operation work as expected in ArcMap v10.x (whatever you have)?

0 Kudos
JoshSaad1

Current I'm using the Feature Class to Feature Class GP tool in Model Builder, but this occurs when using Append or Merge tools as well.  I'm not having this issue in ArcMap Model Builder.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

This sounds like an ArcMap/Pro equivalency issue (There are a ton of these).  I would start a case with ESRI technical support so they can research and replicate this issue themselves and send it to the development team if it needs to be fixed.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Sounds like you might be running into [BUG-000119680: In ArcGISPro, when the Append tool is used in ModelBuilder, creating variables for the input and target parameters and setting the Schema Type to 'Use the Field Map to reconcile schema differences' do not map the attribute fields.] but if you want to make sure (and/or be attached to it) you should get in touch with Support.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for letting GIS endusers know this is a bug.

JoshSaad1

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll contact ESRI support about this.