Select to view content in your preferred language

Feature Layer not updating from edits to attribute table

Jump to solution
04-09-2024 04:00 PM
VickiG
by
New Contributor III

(ArcGIS Pro 3.2.2, Advanced license through campus)

Hi:

I have tried several times to figure out what is going on, but I am really baffled!  I have feature layers that may be updated only very occasionally, so adding a new record by hand is not too onerous (and to preserve symbology).  The attribute tables allow edits, both add new field and add new record.  But when I enter data into the new record and save edits, the feature layer doesn't update to the map.  I've tried the refresh button, saving the project, close, re-open...and a few other things I read online and in these forums.

From all this, I think the problem is that the data is not recognized as coordinates, as when I tried "Repair Geometry" with the default "delete null", the new record was deleted.

I also tried exporting the single record from within the attribute table to a standalone table, then xy table to point tool.  Again the new feature layer was empty.

Any ideas on what is going on here?  From what I have read, editing an attribute table should be a legit way to add data to a feature layer/map.  

Thank You!

Vicki

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

You're adding an record to the attribute table with no geometry.  Entering coordinates into the table doesn't create geometry for you. Instead, add a feature using the editing tools. This will allow you to enter coordinates.

Specify an x,y,z location

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

You're adding an record to the attribute table with no geometry.  Entering coordinates into the table doesn't create geometry for you. Instead, add a feature using the editing tools. This will allow you to enter coordinates.

Specify an x,y,z location

VickiG
by
New Contributor III

Hi Luke, thanks so much.  I was trying the "create" button in the edit tab, but just wasn't understanding where I needed to click to add the point.   i.e.  the actual feature name under the template name, duh!  Once the point is created, then it seems I do need to enter the coordinates and other info into the attribute table by hand.  

I had some GIS experience with ArcView like 25+ years ago...so based on that I got tapped to be the "GIS" person for our group...Yay!  I've been furiously doing tutorials and learning while doing...it is a lot, but I'm having fun (mostly 😉)  

These forums are a great resource!  Thanks again.

Vicki

0 Kudos