Select to view content in your preferred language

Feature Class To Geodatabase missing output name

09-26-2022 03:38 AM
Labels (1)
SOTIRIOSTRIANTOS
New Contributor III

We 've noticed that when trying to import a feature class to an sql instance, the field output feature class is no longer available. To overcome this we are forced to rename the layer name because many times sql server doesnt support the initial given name. Please add it again.

ArcMap 10.7.1

SOTIRIOSTRIANTOS_0-1664188610711.png

ArcGIS Pro

SOTIRIOSTRIANTOS_1-1664188665542.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Those are 2 separate tools. Here are the pro equivalents:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/conversion/feature-class-to-feature-class.ht...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/conversion/feature-class-to-geodatabase.htm

The FC to FC tool allows your to "rename" the FC in the target location. This tool is for a specific feature class, unless the batch version is used.

The FC to GDB is for loading data "as is" into a geodatabase (file, enterprise). This tool allows you to add multiple data sources for loading.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
SOTIRIOSTRIANTOS
New Contributor III

In ArcMap 10.7.1 when importing to sql server Feature Class to Feature Class tool is opening. there is no feature-class-to-geodatabase

Below is a link of a user describing how import is done

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/413329/importing-feature-class-from-arcgis-to-sql-server-usi...

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Is the sql server DB an "Enterprise Geodatabase" or just a SQL DB?

I guess that I am confused on what you are asking now:

• You can have the same options using the GP tool
  • Are you looking to have the right click open the same window as ArcMap?
--- George T.
0 Kudos
SOTIRIOSTRIANTOS
New Contributor III

We are looking to have the right click open the same window as ArcMap. If you try import to an SQL Server instance in ArcMap you will find out that there is an output name option. I dont want to be sarcastic but as a company we are facing great issues with ArcGIS Pro. It feels not solid as a product. Today we found a new issue with popups (erratic behaviour) and we are missing identify tool (you could choose selectionbased on many criteria, whilst in pop up you have to reorganize your contents order). Last week with topology etc. Maybe you should hire someone who is an expert in ArcMap use to outline all the bugs.

Our geographer says that with arcgis Pro it takes more clicks to do the same job. We got ArcGIS Pro with our ArcGIS Desktop annual Subscription so it's ok i dont have to apologize to my director for an unnecessary investment. To conclude ArcGIS Pro is fast but ArcMap is better.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Thanks for the clarification. I can say that ArcGIS Pro is not the "same" as ArcMap in how all functions / interfaces works.

I would recommend an ArcGIS Idea for this to improve the user experience. I am not sure if one exists with this idea yet.

I personally have been using it for years and the workflows seem more intuitive now than in ArcMap. Now that might not be what everyone experiences, mileage may vary. I will say that the requirements for Pro are greater than ArcMap (as they should be) and that has an impact on user experience. I have seen many organizations just install it on a sub-optimal machine and not enjoy the interaction.

Hope this helps!

--- George T.