Extract Values to Points - stuck

Jump to solution
11-26-2021 10:23 AM
Labels (1)
SimonaK_BU
New Contributor

Hello! 

I have recently successfully counted a Topography Wetness Index for almost half of Europe (the Balkan countries) and created a raster. My dataset (point shapefile) is consisting of around 3900 points and I am now trying to Extract Values (of TWI) to Points, but it just jumps to 5% immediately and it is not moving forward for more than an hour, it looks like it´s stuck. My TWI raster has, sadly, 23GB due to the huge dataset of points, so I couldn´t make it smaller. However is it normal to extract the values (even though we are talking about 3900 points) for so long? 

Thank you!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Are you datasets in the same coordinate system?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Are you datasets in the same coordinate system?

SimonaK_BU
New Contributor

Well, as the whole dataset consists of phytosociological relevés from 7 countries taken in the past 50 years, only God knows in which coordinate system the coordinates of relevés had been taken. Therefore I had to transform all of them into WGS 84 (as its the system Garmin cooperates with) and then I have totally forgot about it! My TWI was in Projected ETRS and I left the points in WGS 84. Thank you man, how could I make such a simple mistake.

0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

Hi Simona, were you able to run the tool successfully?  What was the solution? Was it only after projecting the inputs to common projection? 

3900 points should process immediately, regardless of the size of the raster.

Just a note for future,  a good spot for questions related to Spatial Analyst tools directly can be asked in the Spatial Analyst Community. We monitor all but you may by chance get a quicker response.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Beyond any differences in the coordinate system (which there shouldn't be),... dump the shapefile.  Convert it to a locally saved featureclass in a file geodatabase and try again

... sort of retired...