Select to view content in your preferred language

Extract by Mask Fail using Feature as Mask

Jump to solution
12-02-2020 07:27 AM
Labels (2)
KristalWalsh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, I am performing an extract by mask using a feature class (for which I am the owner) as the mask for an input raster.  I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.5.  The raster layer contains in or out areas for habitat and my vector layer areas managed by fire. I am receiving the error. ERROR 010161: Unable to open the mask raster Prescribed Burning.  I have only used this function in ArcMap and it's been a while since doing that but help states "If the mask input is a feature, it will be converted to a raster internally, using the cell size and cell alignment from the Input raster."  So I have not converted this feature class to a raster.  I have gone through the environment settings to make sure the cell size is pointed to the input raster and the workspace is correct.  Is there something else I can check or change on the feature class? Thank you, Kristal

Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As a check, I would do a manual conversion of the mask to ensure it is in the

• same coordinate system as the raster and that
  • the cell size, alignment and
  • snap raster

are indeed as they are.  

Something is apparently failing during the internal conversion attempt and you won't see it if you rely on the automation.  

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As a check, I would do a manual conversion of the mask to ensure it is in the

• same coordinate system as the raster and that
  • the cell size, alignment and
  • snap raster

are indeed as they are.  

Something is apparently failing during the internal conversion attempt and you won't see it if you rely on the automation.  

... sort of retired...
KristalWalsh
Occasional Contributor II

Dan, that was the ticket! Thank you! I should have known it wouldn't be so easy. My results came out very well on an initial inspection with the original feature class. Thank you and Merry Christmas. 

Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning