Encrypted CSV file in Pro?

10-12-2020 09:23 PM
hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Hello geographers

I am stuck in using the encrypted csv file in ArcGIS Pro. I can see the contents in Excel even though it's encrypted. However, it doesn't show anything except the column name when I open it up in Pro.

My organization implements the security system which makes all the files (.xlsx, .word and etc.) encrypted for the security of the information. I'd like to know if I can still open this csv file or any other secured files and work through in Pro.

Thanks ahead

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Excel files with password protection are not supported.

Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Cheers,

Chris

hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response. I just want to make clarification about the excel file my organization uses.

It doesn't have any passwords, but it makes some cracks and is unable to edit when I export to USB or someone out of my org. 

Is it still not supported?

Thank you

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you can't open it in a text editor and view it unencrypted then it still required a "key" to decrypt it.  This may be with a password that you are given or is at the system level.  Dr Google has several YouTube videos purporting methods of removing encryption for Microsoft files

Protection and security in Excel - Office Support 

I know that you can drag and drop csv files from Windows File explorer into Pro, but I haven't tested with other formats.  *.xlsx files don't work with drag and drop (produces an error)

... sort of retired...
hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Hi Dan,

I asked the person in charge of managing the whole system of my organization, who might know the "key" is and how to fix this. Unfortunately, he had no idea of having the key for decrypting those files. He also mentioned that it doesn't need any key to open and see the file. But, as soon as I save the file in my usb the contents have cracks and is invalid to edit in notepad or excel. Do you have any idea for this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The "key" may be where you are saving it.  Since I don't have security issues in my environment, the question becomes...

• is the behaviour also exhibited when you save/load from your local machine?
  • does it just happen when you copy to a USB
    • just that particular usb?
    • all usb drives?
  • what about saving to OneDrive or some other cloud-based platform.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
hm_stella
Esri Contributor

I think this case is kind of irregular one. 

This behavior doesn't show up when I save or load on my computer, but it happens whenever the file I published through my computer is opened by someone else's computer.

This is why my USB and others' USBs have the same issue. (And some cloud-based storages).

It seems like the encrypted files can't be opened in ArcGIS Pro, doesn't it?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You might want to investigate some of the options I have suggested.  They might help rule out your environment versus your method of sharing.

If there aren't employee channels you can follow up on, I would contact Tech Support to see if it can be replicated elsewhere.

Good luck.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos