Dynamic Legends for Map Series in ArcGIS Pro

05-17-2019 01:38 PM
RolandDuhaime
Occasional Contributor

I am creating a "Map Series" in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2.  Each map depicts the number of nesting pairs of a specific species of wading birds found around the state.  Some of the species are very common and others are not. Currently, the legend uses a "Proportional Symbols" type legend and the legend is the same for each of the maps in the series... stretching between the minimum (1) and maximum (1,000) values for all of the birds. 

However, I wish to have the legend's maximum value dynamically change depending on the species.  With a map series in Pro, is there a way to have the legend dynamically change and stretch between the minimum and maximum number of nesting pairs for a given species? My work-around would be to create a custom map for each species, which I am trying to avoid.

Thanks,

Roland

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrianKaplan
Occasional Contributor

I'm looking for this feature also not only for proportional symbols but for choropleth maps.  I would guess a python option could be a solution.  

Any new information since the post in May 2019?

Thanks.

Brian

0 Kudos
RolandDuhaime
Occasional Contributor

Hi Brian,

Yes, Python is often an option.  I created many of these bird atlas maps using and automated Python approach.  In this particular case (because there were about 12 wading bird species), I ended up creating individual maps, using custom symbols.  There have been many changes/improvements with the software over the past year, so I suggest working with ArcGIS Pro version 2.5.0, as it is the most recent.

All The Best,

Roland

0 Kudos
BrianKaplan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.  

0 Kudos