Does Pro require IE to start?

03-23-2019 09:40 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

One thing I just found is that Pro requires IE to start. Without it installed it seems you can't sign in. (is this right??)  I have a server that can not have IE on it.   For various reasons it would be helpful to run Pro 2.4 on it for publishing services though. I am wondering the time frame Esri plans to use Internet Explorer for the UI?  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Works fine with Windows 10 and Edge, but I think IE is buried Edge.  We had issues at with time Chrome, so we don't use it or anything else in our teaching labs

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Kevin, my org no longer allows web browser installations on Windows Servers.  Are you saying in this setup that ArcPro will just not work?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Edge and IE are separate at least in terms of binaries and components. While Microsoft "built IE in" to Windows long ago, it can now be (somewhat) removed ironically. It is a 'feature' to add in to Windows in Programs and Features or if on Server like I am in 2016 Datacenter as a Server Roles and Features component. However for some particular reason my AWS instance it is not available and even manually copying the IE 11 binaries did not work. Probably because of how IE is a "special" part of Windows. (As a Mac user that kind of thing is why while I use Windows because Arc is on it, I do wish OS X had taken off more in both the server and consumer space and subsequently we had Arc on Mac but I digress. Interestingly ArcView of old actually did run on Macs!)   Now, MS has been doggedly deprecating IE steadily for a few years, and even Edge will now be Chromium.  (I think a clever decision to outsource their rendering engine to Google, heh!)  I am thus wondering if Pro will soon use modern Microsoft components for the UI?  

0 Kudos
AlanBragg1
New Contributor

I've found that ArcMap has a weird relationship with IE as well. I have 10.3 installed on a virtual machine, and all the tool interfaces are blank. Handy for brushing up on my Python skills, but annoying at the same time. Apparently this can be down to the version of IE installed. As our corporate IT services govern what version of IE is installed on our machine I can't roll back the version to see if this fixes (I've tried all the solutions I was able to hunt out between here and Stack Exchange). 

0 Kudos