Does 2.1.2 need be installed on top of 2.1.1?

02-28-2018 12:39 PM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

If I were slipstreaming service packs into an admin install, can I put 2.1.2 on top of 2.1 and it will roll up 2.1.1, or do I need to slipstream 2.1.1 first (which would be a pain....)?

20 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Based on the Release notes it looks like each patch has different fixes and would need to be installed 2.1.1 then 2.1.2. 

Release notes for ArcGIS Pro 2.1—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

I am not 100% but seems like it may be the case. My guess is that the intention is that updates will be performed as available so most Pro installations would already be at 2.1.1.

--- George T.
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

My read as well... the 2.1.2 patch only list the issues which will work in 2.1, 2.1.1 and 2.1.2.  There is no duplication in the list with the 2.1 and 2.1.1 list.

Besides, I get the notice, and I install but I am not in a controlled environment

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

tpcolson‌, there you go again, being all enterprise-y and trying to slipstream packages.

I agree the documentation is incomplete.  Given the size of 2.1.1 patch was 20 MB and 2.1.2 was 70 MB, my hunch was all the 2.1.1 fixes were rolled into 2.1.2.  I just tested on a newly installed Pro 2.1 machine, and I was able to go straight to 2.1.2 without installing 2.1.1 first.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hmmmmm. I think ESRI is under the mistaken impression that all users are going to have the admin rights necessary to hit that update button, when the opposite is the reality. I think IT subscribes to the release updates because they mysteriously don't answer the phone around the same time. In a future world, by the time we get SP.X installed (1 year after release), SP.Y and Z have been released. I'd like to be in a scenario where I just wait for Z, and roll up X and Y in the process. If that's no longer the case, that goes against what most software producers practice. Can you imagine if you have to install every SQL CU in ordinal order?  I'm also under the naïve impression that I'm going to be able to roll Pro out using one of those magic deployment tools (my fault, not ESRI's, I've never gotten that to work). So your install says 2.1.2, but can you tell if the 2.1.1 fixes got applied?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is funny, in a sad way, the Pro documentation is so vague because the ArcMap documentation has always been quite clear.  For example, the description for ArcGIS Data Reviewer 10.5.1 Patch 3 for (Desktop | Server) states, "This patch is cumulative of all previously released Patches and Hot Fixes for ArcGIS Data Reviewer 10.5.1."

Back to your question.  Can I answer it with certainty, no.  Since Esri doesn't state which files are updated to which version with any patches, and they don't state that 2.1.2 is cumulative, I can't say unequivocally that the 2.1.1 fixes are in 2.1.2.  That said, I am able to enter minus signs for long and short integer fields for attribute tables, which was an issue (BUG-000111161) addressed in the first patch.  So empirically, or maybe anecdotally, the 2.1.1 fixes are rolled into 2.1.2.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
  • You must have ArcGIS Pro 2.1 installed prior to installing ArcGIS Pro 2.1 Patch 2 (2.1.2).
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.1 Patch 2 (2.1.2) includes all the fixes in ArcGIS Pro 2.1 Patch 1 (2.1.1)
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Great xander_bakker‌ I did not see that yesterday.

--- George T.
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Xander Bakker‌, where are you seeing that bullet item?  I don't see it on the release notes page, and I just did a Ctrl-F search for it.  In My Esri under Additional Information, this is what I see:

ArcGIS Pro 2.1 must be installed prior to installing any ArcGIS Pro 2.1 patches. This ArcGIS Pro patch download is equivalent to the software update(s) while using ArcGIS Pro. Click the Issues Addressed link for a listing of what is available in the patch.

When I click on the Issues Addressed link in My Esri, it takes me to the Release Notes page where that text isn't showing up for me.

0 Kudos