Do you use a drawing tablet with ArcGIS Pro?

02-20-2018 08:44 AM
deleted-user-4lNuNe3wCfk3
New Contributor

I'm very interested in connecting a drawing tablet w/ monitor (GAOMON PD1560, Huion GT-220, Ugee UG-2150) to ArcGIS Pro for digitizing/ reshaping admin0 boundaries. I'm currently killing my wrist and my time with 10's of 1000's of mouse clicks per day. There has to be an easier way. 

Do any of you use drawing tablets with ArcGIS Pro, and would you mind sharing your setup with me? Thanks! 

*fistbumps*

7 Replies
LindsayRaabe2
New Contributor II

I too am interested in this. We have a number of people who do numerous boundary edits per day and with future changes to our work process, the amount of digitizing we do will increase dramatically. I'm wondering if a drawing tablet is a good option to consider for this sort of work instead of using the standard mouse and risking RSI issues. 

Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor
ScottCorwin
New Contributor III

I'm using a Monoprice/Huion H610.  I have used a graphics tablet for years with ArcGIS and for a few hours (it's not easy so far) with ArcGIS Pro.  Overall I  find it to be a very good editing solution that for me, has solved a lot of the physical pain of editing with a mouse.  It's not easy at first, but I find it better in the long run.  I also use a thumbball mouse, that I will switch to my left hand and often use it for my "clicks" and simply use the stylus as a pointer and right/middle click tool.

MattWilkie3
Occasional Contributor II

WRT "sharing setup", yes, let's do that. I have a Huion XP-Pen 22E, which has the programmable buttons on the side, plus the Shortcut Remote, which can be used with any Huion. I've not yet dived into what shortcuts should be put in the programmable buttons. Any suggestions? I'll edit this post as I go, building a reference resource.

MiriamOlivares1
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

Joining this question thread to ask a somewhat related Q. Has anyone used a Surface Studio to digitize a scanned map with ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-studio-2/8sbjxm0m58t4?activetab=pivot:overviewtab  

If you had the funds, which tablet would be your top choice?

Thanks in advance,

Miriam

0 Kudos
MattWilkie1
Occasional Contributor II

In my so far limited experience with Pro and a tablet with stylus: it's a mixed bag. Pro doesn't really have the concept of a pen and that gets in the way using the pen features. The biggest chore is switching between the various tools and their modes. Pro has a lot keyboard shortcuts (which is awesome, thank you developers who did that work!), but using those in conjunction with a stylus is difficult because of the constant switching between physical input devices. An intelligently constructed toolbar for pen input would go a long way to addressing this. Pro can do this, but there's a lot thinking about what tools are needed and what to assign them to. I've started but only moved a short way down this road (daily work needs to get done first).

All a long way of saying: the hardware platform might not be the biggest concern.

0 Kudos
SherieTaylor
New Contributor III

I am interested in a tablet that will work with the apps?  We have an ag appraiser that submits ag use changes to GIS data and the freehand drawing tool doesn't well if she's submitting changes on a large parcel as once you zoom in and start drawing, you can't pan around the area to be drawn around.  Any ideas on tablets that will work with apps?

0 Kudos