Select to view content in your preferred language

Display XY from Table to a Map

08-01-2023 10:03 AM
Labels (1)
PeteJordan
Frequent Contributor

I noticed at some point that there is now an option to <Right-Click> on an imported table into a map from say Access or Excel and chose the Display XY Data.  This looks exactly the same as the one in ArcToolBox called XY Table to Point.  I would think they would be the same thing.

However, I keep getting an error when using it.  It also shows that the process is the same as the one in ArcToolBox (XY Table to Point (Data Management Tools)).

PeteJordan_0-1690909128629.png

The process works fine if I use the one in ArcToolBox though.  So my question is, should these two be the same process and if so, why is the menu version failing, while the ArcToolBox method works fine?

Menu version on the left and ArcToolBox on the right for comparrison

PeteJordan_1-1690909289389.png

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Pending Edits

Save the edits and see if the shortcut works.

The tool in the toolbox also knows more about the environment prior to running the script than the shortcut approach does

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PeteJordan
Frequent Contributor

Well there are not any edits as this was one a coworkers computer and then I tried out a test on an imported table into a new map with nothing else in it.

It might be as you stated, just the Geoprocessing version has more information than the shortcut does and that is why it fails...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just to make sure.... so the second image on the left side was not applicable prior to you running the shortcut?  Because it says Pending Edits

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PeteJordan
Frequent Contributor

I never noticed that, it's actually stating "Pending Edits" on both of them, but the right hand one works fine.  Not even sure why it would say that as the table was just imported into a new map and then I just tried to display the XY.

As a note, I also tested out on another map the "Make Route Event" from the shortcut and that actually worked.  So it seems it's just with the Display XY Shortcut that I and coworkers are experiencing the issue with...

0 Kudos