Disable Import Map Button Within ArcGIS Pro

06-23-2020 11:11 AM
Clint_Glover
New Contributor III

Is there currently anyway to disable the import map button within ArcGIS Pro?  My organization is about to begin rolling out ArcGIS Pro to all of our ArcMap users.  Our plan is to have those users create new Pro projects that utilize our web services within our Portal, instead of importing their old mxd files that contain layers using SDE connection files to our enterprise geodatabase (which runs within Oracle 12c).  This method would prevent us from having to go back and run a Python script on all of our customers' mxd files to update the data source information after our database accounts passwords are updated.  Are there any registry keys we can set to disable this functionality with the install package we set up for our organization?  If this functionality doesn't exist currently, does anyone know if this might be added in a future release of Pro?  For reference I am currently using ArcGIS Pro 2.5.1.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Manually, one can remove the Import Map command from the Insert Tab by going to AGP Options->Application->Customize the Ribbon.  On the right side, go to Insert->Project->single click Import Map and click the left facing Remove button in the middle of the UI.  This will remove the command from a single instance of AGP.

Through the ArcGIS Pro SDK, it appears you can configure the look and feel but I've never used it personally.

0 Kudos
Clint_Glover
New Contributor III

Thank you for the information.  I'll look into this and see what I can do.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Clint:

Do you find Portal web services to have better performance than SDE direct connections?

0 Kudos
Clint_Glover
New Contributor III

I haven't really compared the two performance wise.  If we move forward with Portal web services in Pro projects, to my understanding we would not have to mess with the Pro projects at all.  Instead all we will have to do is update the registered data stores (within ArcGIS Server) used in each service and restart/republish the service.  Once we do that, all of the Pro projects should pick up the changes, since they would all be using web services as layers instead of SDE direct connections.

0 Kudos