Deselect Shortcut Key

10-26-2022 10:02 AM
Labels (1)
CWilliamLee
Emerging Contributor

Why is it so incredibly hard to deselect objects in ArcGIS Pro?  To make things worse, if you export a layout with something selected it's highlighted in the output file.   There seriously needs to be a shortcut to quickly deselect everything.  I don't see the benefit of having selected items print differently either.  AutoCAD Products use the escape key.  I think most users find this to be very useful.  I've searched and searched and found no easy way of deselecting anything except from the edit portion of the ribbon which is not available when working in a layout.  A button for the quick access panel would be a good start.

4 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

We'll be adding the clear selection button at the bottom of the map in Pro 3.1 (so that you don't have to travel to the ribbon, and possibly change to a different tab)...

KoryKramer_0-1666807506689.png

For the desire to have a way to clear a selection before exporting, please see this idea and add your support by giving it kudos: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/de-selection-before-exporting-your-layout/idi-p/11572... 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Also, you could set the Esc key as an accelerator. That command that you want is esri_mapping_clearSelectionButton.

KoryKramer_1-1666812272790.png

Use that info to find the specific command and assign the Esc key:

KoryKramer_0-1666812229382.png

Then you should be able to hit Esc to clear all selected features in the map.

ContractorPortal
New Contributor

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

You can also Clear the selection via the layer context menu in the Contents pane. This works in Layout View as well as it does in Map View. You can either select a specific layer or multiple layers.

Screenshot.PNG

Tom