Select to view content in your preferred language

Data moved, folder not showing in Catalog

214
4
05-15-2024 12:07 PM
Labels (2)
sgambrel_Bouldercounty
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have a map where the source for a layer was moved via Windows Explorer.  The folder where the data is located WILL NOT show up, no matter what / where / how many times I refresh.  I've tried everything suggested in the ESRI help.

Not only can I NOT repair the data source, I can't even remove the layer and re-add it, because, you guessed it, Pro refuses to see it.  

Somewhat ironically, the aprx is also locatred in this folder (the data is in a subfolder) - so the aprx isn't even seeing the folder that itself is located in!

The data needs to stay in this new location.  Its name does not include any special characters, etc. 

If I can't refresh the folder, database, etc via catalog view / catalog pane, and I can't re-add the layer in it's new location, how can I use my data?  Why does Pro insist that this folder doesn't exist???    

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

Can't help with why you're not seeing the folder/data in the original aprx, but if you open a different aprx or create a new aprx, can you see the "missing" folder/data if you try to add the data or make a folder connection with the different/new aprx?

0 Kudos
sgambrel_Bouldercounty
Occasional Contributor

Oh, good point.  Folder is there when I start a new project or try to add from another project.

So this is not an issue with the folder itself, it's something with the esri "project".  

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

Sounds like something has happened to the aprx. If repairing the connection does not work then you can 1) create a new aprx and load your data from the existing folder, or 2) from the "new" aprx you can export the existing data into a different feature class stored in a newly created folder and then see if you can connect to this newly "created" folder/data with the old aprx.

Good luck. At least you know the data is safe.

0 Kudos
sgambrel_Bouldercounty
Occasional Contributor

Luckily I didn't have to go in and re-create this whole series of very complex maps, that would've been awful.

What finally worked was that I deleted every folder connection for the project, saved and closed, then re-opened.  I was then able to see the new folder and make a connection to it.  Just removing the broken folder connection didn't do it, I had to delete all folder connections. 

Seems kinda like a bug.  Desktop was really good at re-connecting to moved data sources.  It'd be nice if Pro was at least as good as the software it replaced. 

0 Kudos