Data Driven Pages vs Map Series

10-30-2020 09:26 AM
JacqueHamilton
New Contributor III

I work with a lot of data that has the same extent.  In Arc Map I am able to use Data Driven Pages to view different features that are all in the same feature class and similar extent.  I use this quit frequently with geologic layers and cross sections.  For example, I have x number of cross sections.  Each cross section is identified by a cross section number. All of the data (stratigraphy lines, wells ...) references that number to be viewed.  So if all my x section lines are in one feature class I don't need to see all of the x section lines at once but just, for example. cross section #1. There doesn't seem to be this capability in ArcPro.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jacque, 

It sounds like you are using Page Definition Queries with your ArcMap DDP (see Using Page Definition Queries—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop) to view a subset of features from various layers based on a matching field value to the current DDP index page.

This functionality is available in ArcGIS Pro (see Page queries in a spatial map series—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation).

Hope this helps, 

Tom

JacqueHamilton
New Contributor III

Thank you Tom.  You are correct and I'm using the Page Definition Queries to view a subset of features.  I have set up the Layout  with the Map Series Pages.  It looks like, however, that if I'm in my 'map' and need to go to the next page, I have to go back to the Layout and select the Map Series Page and then go back to my map.  Is there an option to scroll thru the series in the map itself  with out having to go back and forth all the time?

Thanks so much!!

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jacque, 

There is no option to use a map series to "scroll" through spatial extents and apply page definition queries within a map view. Map series was designed to work in the context of a layout page.  It was not designed to be used in conjunction with a map view.

Tom

0 Kudos
JacqueHamilton
New Contributor III

Thanks Tom,

Is there a  way to ask for this feature in ArcPro?  We use it quite extensively for our geological units and cross sections and modeling.  I would say that 99% of our work at the survey is with databases in map view and not layouts.  

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Jacque, 

You add your enhancement idea to ArcGIS Ideas

Tom