Custom Background Callout Polygon for Labels

12-17-2019 04:23 PM
LucasMurray2
Occasional Contributor II

In ArcMap, I could create custom polygons to use as callout boxes for my labels.  For example, I used a gradient fill to create a two-color background callout box (see pic below).  Is this possible to do in ArcGIS Pro, too? 

I tried creating a two-color gradient fill polygon symbol in Pro, saving it to the gallery, and then adding it as the background symbol for a callout box.  However, it only shows one of the two colors in the labels.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JacobHelfman1
New Contributor III

What type of file format are you using to import that background? And what version of Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
LucasMurray2

Sorry I didn't respond earlier.  I just now saw this reply.  I'm not using a file format.  I'm using a gradient fill to create that symbol.  It only has two colors so it worked well.  Pro didn't seem to be able to mimic that ability.  In pro, I'm using 2.4.

0 Kudos
CatherineBradley
New Contributor III

Lucas, I am also having this issue, sort of.  I have a point layer of hospitals & want have an ESRI supported hospital symbol 118 ( a white H with a blue background in a square).   But when added, the "H" is hollow and the background colors show thru.  How did you get a solid background?  Thanks, Catherine

0 Kudos
LucasMurray2

Hi Catherine, are you doing this in ArcGIS Pro?  I had to figure this out too.  When you open the feature symbology, in the Properties tab, open the Layers section.

Under Appearance, click the Form drop-down menu.  Select the number icon that has a circle around it.   From there, you can edit the symbol and character to look how you like.  I tried to find instructions in the help docs for this but couldn't find anything.   

0 Kudos