Creating layers from "stylized" maps

07-14-2020 04:06 PM
ChelsieWollett
New Contributor II

Our organization recently went through some branding efforts and a design company has created some maps for us. The map styles use simplified shapes, but follow geographies "for the most part." As we do not have a graphic designer on staff, I am trying to combine efforts when making visualizations where possible. I want to try to find a way to add these map styles that have been created for us into ArcGIS Pro as a layer so that plotting nearby assets is a simpler workflow.

I know you can take a raster image and georeference it, which is a possibility. But I was curious as to whether this would be possible with a vector file where paths are already separated out. For instance, can I upload an InDesign or Illustrator file and bring it into Pro and tell it that this path corresponds to this county?

Have other folks done this type of work? Where you need to go from 100% correct geographic data to a more stylized format? Do you just make the map in Esri and do all the post work in another program? Do you have suggestions on resources to show this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BrianE
by
Occasional Contributor II

Try the Esri's Vector Basemap Editor. You can tweak elements of a basemap and save as your own. 

Gets you 85% of the way there.

0 Kudos