Count description in the legend not updated ?

Jump to solution
09-12-2019 10:47 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

So I have updated my layer and I went to the Format Legend to run the count in the description in the legend section..

So my question to you is why was it not updating the count numbers in the parentheses  ( ) ? 

The number 149 should be 183 , the 598 should be 6712  The 5 is correct .  

and how  do I remove the (604) ?  I just put it as a hide not to display it .

Does anyone have the same issues as I have ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Robert, 

The count in the Legend only applies to features visible in the map extent associated Map Frame.  From the help topic - Work with a legend item—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop 

If the Only show features visible in the map extent is checked, a legend item class will only appear in the legend if a feature from that class is in the current extent. If no features from that legend item are in the current extent, the entire item will be removed from the legend. You can also add feature counts to your legend by checking Show feature count.

The number of features from the legend item class that are in the current extent will appear after that class' label. If a legend item does not have labels, the count will appear after the patch. You can set the text that will appear before and after the feature count by typing in the text boxes. You also have the option to display a thousands separator by checking Show thousands separator.

Does the count in your legend correspond to the number of features visible in the current map extent?

If you want a full count of the features in the layer irregardless of whether they are visible in the map extent you can use Table dynamic text (see Add dynamic text—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop) item "Count".

In this example I'm getting the count of all rows for the layer "capital" (US state capitals).  

Here is the same map extent with a dynamic legend showing the feature count. I've highlighted the count in the legend and the control in the Element pane window.  Please not that the particular item (layer) that I want to work with is selected in the Contents pane.

If I do not want to show the count I can uncheck the Show feature counts option. 

If the count displayed in the legend does not match the count of features visible in the map extent... this is probably a bug, in which case you may need to contact technical support to properly troubleshoot the issue. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Hope this help, 

Tom

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are legends auto-updated?  I thought they were static?  Did you delete the legend and recreate it to see if it updates.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

No, I had the layout from previous work and I worked in ArcMap to work on update the attributes that I finished orthorectified flight points. I copy the layer from my PC and put it on the server on my workspace..

So I went back to Pro and re-data source the data that I have copied to the server. But on the map tab ,I check and it looks correct but in the Layout I had to delete the old legend and re-do it again ... It does NOT update the count numbers... I am thinking ugh...

I went  to the Symbology and it shows the correct counts there...

I was wonder if it is a bug or not..

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I believe it just counts within the extent of the layout rather that the whole one...

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Robert, 

The count in the Legend only applies to features visible in the map extent associated Map Frame.  From the help topic - Work with a legend item—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop 

If the Only show features visible in the map extent is checked, a legend item class will only appear in the legend if a feature from that class is in the current extent. If no features from that legend item are in the current extent, the entire item will be removed from the legend. You can also add feature counts to your legend by checking Show feature count.

The number of features from the legend item class that are in the current extent will appear after that class' label. If a legend item does not have labels, the count will appear after the patch. You can set the text that will appear before and after the feature count by typing in the text boxes. You also have the option to display a thousands separator by checking Show thousands separator.

Does the count in your legend correspond to the number of features visible in the current map extent?

If you want a full count of the features in the layer irregardless of whether they are visible in the map extent you can use Table dynamic text (see Add dynamic text—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop) item "Count".

In this example I'm getting the count of all rows for the layer "capital" (US state capitals).  

Here is the same map extent with a dynamic legend showing the feature count. I've highlighted the count in the legend and the control in the Element pane window.  Please not that the particular item (layer) that I want to work with is selected in the Contents pane.

If I do not want to show the count I can uncheck the Show feature counts option. 

If the count displayed in the legend does not match the count of features visible in the map extent... this is probably a bug, in which case you may need to contact technical support to properly troubleshoot the issue. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Hope this help, 

Tom

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you.  That explains ! I already mention right before you post it....no wonder about that... 

0 Kudos