Corrupted Geometry

07-21-2017 05:57 AM
RyanClose
New Contributor III

A coworker has just imported an mxd he'd been working on into ArcGIS Pro 2.0. 

He'd worked on it within AGP before but now, suddenly, it appears that the geometry of SOME of the records has been corrupted. He tells me the table still contains the records, but nothing shows on the map where that record should be. He can't select or identify those records on the map either.

Has anyone else run into this sort of problem?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you try to bring the same data (or a copy) into ArcMap to see if the geometry is also corrupt in ArcMap?

RyanClose
New Contributor III

Yeah. That's the first thing I had him do. The data is in fact corrupted.  

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a backup of the mxd and associated data?  Maybe you can try to duplicate the import again to try to isolate exactly where the corruption occurred.  If it happens again then you could escalate this problem to ESRI tech support and see if they can replicate your issue.

RyanClose
New Contributor III

Fortunately he did have a backup of the data. The MXD should be unaffected. I mentioned earlier to him about trying it again, but he's reluctant. I'll have to prod him some more.
I'll use your recommendation about possibly pushing it up to ESRI TS. Hopefully that will get him over it.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I'm not familiar with ArcGIS Pro, but one way to possibly solve this on the ArcGIS Desktop side is to run the Repair Geometry tool:

Checking and repairing geometries—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Repair Geometry—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

If the issue is not the dataset itself, but the mxd, one could try the MXD Doctor Utility:

Using the MXD Doctor utility—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Caveats

- Not sure if ArcGIS Pro has a similar set of tools more specific to ArcGIS Pro

- Make backups of your data before running the Repair Geometry Tool or the MXD Doctor Utility

Chris Donohue, GISP

RyanClose
New Contributor III

Interesting idea. He's already replaced the corrupted data with his backup. Should it happen again, I'll mention this.

Thank you

0 Kudos