Copied Map Element Within a Layout?

Jump to solution
07-27-2018 10:38 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

I have to create a four pane map layout, showing progression of a project through four years.  I created one pane the way I wanted them all to look, and copied it.  I then pasted it and moved the copy to a free area in the layout.

I then tried to turn on another layer within the map element that I just pasted.  I selected the map element (activated the map frame) and the layer appeared, but it also appeared in the first map element I copied from.  It is like the two map frames are linked.

Is there a way to turn this off?

Thanks,

--Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Adam, 

For the scenario you describe you will need to make a copy of the map (not a copy of the map frame). One for each year. With each copy you can change layer visibility, add or remove layers or make other changes as you see fit. Then, in the layout you can then insert a map frame for each map (year).

Map frames point to a single map.  You can X number of map frames and some properties of the each of these can be different, such the spatial extent. However, some properties of the map, such as layer visibility, cannot be controlled by the map frame.

For more information please see Add and modify map frames—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hope this helps.

Tom

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Adam, 

For the scenario you describe you will need to make a copy of the map (not a copy of the map frame). One for each year. With each copy you can change layer visibility, add or remove layers or make other changes as you see fit. Then, in the layout you can then insert a map frame for each map (year).

Map frames point to a single map.  You can X number of map frames and some properties of the each of these can be different, such the spatial extent. However, some properties of the map, such as layer visibility, cannot be controlled by the map frame.

For more information please see Add and modify map frames—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hope this helps.

Tom

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

How would you sync the extents across each map frame?

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Steve, 

There are a number of ways to sync extents across map frames. See the "Linked Map Frame" section in the help topic Customize your map extent—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop.

Hope this helps.

Tom

AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

Tom!  Thank you very much for this post and the one below!  Great info.

--Adam

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Adam, 

Glad I could help.

Tom

0 Kudos