Converting ArcMap Projects to ArcGIS Pro

06-12-2020 05:11 PM
DavidGray1
New Contributor III

Hi;  Are there tricks or do's and don'ts when converting an existing mxd ArcMap Project to ArcGis Pro? (10.7 to 2.5).

I have shapefiles from ArcMap into a desired folder. When browsing Add Data to that folder in Pro, it can't see them. How come?   But they are there in file folder.    Dave

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try to import an arcmap document?

Import an ArcMap document—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

If the shapefiles aren't showing up in the folder make sure you have all the 'bits' of it and not just the *.shp portion

... sort of retired...
DavidGray1
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan;  For the input. What I have are a series of shapefiles downloaded from a State Agency site. They have all the associated files, including shp, dbf, prj, shx, cpg. I don't know if they are shp files from Map or Pro from the State.

I was hoping that Pro could just bring them in with Add Data. But it sounds like they must be established as an ArcMap Project mxd and exported as a map package? And Add Data can't see ArcMap shp files? Or is something else going on here?

Thanks; Dave

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

shapefiles should load in Pro without issue.

Open a new map without a basemap

Add one shapefile to the map (make sure it isn't zipped and is loaded to a local drive eg c:\arcpro\test)

If it doesn't show up, right-click on it and select zoom to layer, or even try to open up its table

... sort of retired...
DavidGray1
New Contributor III

Interesting. The shapefiles showed up and were available to Pro only after rebooting the computer. Are there some hotkey combos to refresh Catalog folders like there were in Map? Maybe not. I see that there is a refresh command under menu in Catalog.

That reference to pulling existing ArcMap projects via map package is helpful. My next project will be to do just that from an existing mxd. This one with shapefiles that started this thread was a new project in Pro.

Thanks;

Dave

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

David...

The shortcuts for pro in pdf format

https://www.esri.com/content/dam/esrisites/en-us/media/pdf/g526942-arcgis-pro-kybrd-shrtct-FINAL.pdf 

documents and blogs

ArcGIS Pro documents 

ArcGIS Pro blogs 

A few tips garnered over many years, not in any particular order

new project for testing

new local folder for data (no webbie, network stuff, SDE stuff)

reboot (could be number 1)

refresh is in catalog... use it everytime you are looking for stuff, right-click-refresh. 

loads more

... sort of retired...