Select to view content in your preferred language

Conversion from .sid file to .kml without loosing colors...?

11-23-2017 05:08 AM
sofiaandersson
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I have a question for you. I'm working on producing some maps for a mobile application. The maps I want to use are from Norway and can be downloaded from here Få kart gratis på mobilen | Kartverket  The maps are in a file format of which I'm not very familiar called MrSid or .sid. In order to make them work for the application I need them converted into .kml files. I've successfully done this using "Layer To Kml" in arcgis pro but my problem is that when I view the newly created file in say Google Earth there are some parts of the raster that used to have colors that are now transparent. I have tried to experiment with the color of "NoData" but can't make it work. What I've noticed is that the raw file has 4 bands, RGBA, and my understanding is that the alpha band may be causing the problem.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I think it's fairly confusing that it looks perfect in arcgis pro but then it looks so weird as I open it up in Google Earth. Please let me know if you need additional information.

I attach a converted KML file which shows the problems I have. This test tile has color losses in both blue, black, white and red areas as far as I have noticed.

Thank you for your time,

Sofia Andersson

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sid files are readonly.  Have you tried converting it to a different format prior to converting to kml?

Multiresolution Seamless Image Database (MrSID) 

A proprietary compression technique especially for maintaining the quality of large images. Allows for a high compression ratio and fast access to large amounts of data at any scale. The MrSID Encoder is developed and supported by LizardTech, Inc.LizardTech website

Supports generations 2, 3, and 4.

Single file—extension *.sid

World file—extension *.sdw

Read-only

0 Kudos