Select to view content in your preferred language

Conversion from Google Earth to ArcGIS Pro

11-11-2022 11:00 AM
Labels (1)
jgstaley
New Contributor II

Hello all!

Some background first: I work for a large company that owns numerous other companies that all have a large real estate portfolio. For a dozen years before I started, the company kept a master Google Earth .kml file with the boundaries of our real estate portfolio, neatly sorted by the following hierarchy:

1. Operating Company 2) Property Code

Within each property code there is a boundary for the tax parcel, the boundary of what we lease, and finally a little pin that has the property code:

My company understands that I have some ArcGIS experience, and would like to switch to mapping our properties on ArcGIS..so I have been tasked with this process.

My problem is that when I convert a .kml to a layer, it throws all points and polygons together in one layer, with no hierarchy like I had in Google Earth.

Ideally in the contents pane (and eventually on a map published to ArcGIS online for those without a license) I would like to group individual properties together like we currently have them in Google Earth. Is this possible? Or would I have to save each property individually and then convert them to a layer? Or can you think of any easier way to display some sort of hierarchy like in Google Earth? Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cmwrenn3
New Contributor II

You could set your symbology to Unique Values set to either the Property Code or the Operating Company, however you want thenm arranged.  The TOC will group them in a single layer but they will be seperated according to the symbology layer.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

Sometimes opening non-Esri files in QGIS will give you some insights. It's more flexible and forgiving. Usually you can open it and then drag and drop files onto it.

0 Kudos