Contours (Line Shapefile) Never Load

12-12-2023 10:24 AM
MackenzieBetz5
New Contributor II

I have a county-wide line shapefile of 2 foot elevation contours. I need to make it available to other users in my organization, and ideally, upload it as some kind of tile layer to our ArcGIS online site. Unfortunately, the file never fully draws. It gets most of the way and then stops, no spinning loading wheel, nothing. If I check the 'zoom to layer' or the layer extents, the file covers the whole area, just that last segment will not draw, no matter what I do. 

I've tried saving the file to different locations, I've tried exporting the features to a new shapefile, I've tried loading it on different networks, tried loading from the file share it is stored in, tried moving it to my local machine to load - nothing works. I can publish it, but that last section is always missing from the upload as well. 

I'm really at a loss for what to try next! 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Contours are usually some pretty big features; could be there's just so much data loading that it's having trouble. Try segmenting the lines to a maximum vertex count, or slice them with a grid or something. How big is the shapefile?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

To add to what Josh mentioned:

- Where is the data stored for the contours?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

Two things to try:

1. Try exporting to a file geodatabase feature class.

2. Run the Repair Geometry GP tool on a copy of the shapefile.

0 Kudos