Combining multiple layers into one

Jump to solution
10-11-2023 10:43 AM
Labels (3)
CarbonAmerica
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I'm currently creating centerlines for pipelines in ArcGIS Pro. I'm creating the centerlines in a line feature class, but each pipeline is a different width. My plan is to create a "width" field and input the specific width of each feature. Then once I'm done, I'm going to select by attribute according to width and use the buffer tool on each new layer.

However, once this is done, is there a way to combine the new buffered centerlines (the polygons that will be generated) into one polygon feature class so I don't have multiple different layers for different widths?

To be clear, I don't want to merge all of the features into one because then I would lose the attribute data. I'm just interested in combining everything into one feature class that I can turn on/off and keeping all the attribute data. 

Thanks!

Thanks so much
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MobiusSnake
MVP
I don't want to merge all of the features into one because then I would lose the attribute data.

You'll lose the attribute data if you run the Dissolve tool on your layers, but the Merge tool allows you to map each layer's attribution to new fields in the merged feature class, you should be able to maintain your attribution using this field mapping.

Take a look at the Field Map parameter here:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/merge.htm

Also possibly of interest is that the Buffer tool allows you to specify a field value as your buffer size, not just a fixed value.  You should be able to buffer all of your features at once this way, directly into one layer - I don't think merging is even necessary.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MobiusSnake
MVP
I don't want to merge all of the features into one because then I would lose the attribute data.

You'll lose the attribute data if you run the Dissolve tool on your layers, but the Merge tool allows you to map each layer's attribution to new fields in the merged feature class, you should be able to maintain your attribution using this field mapping.

Take a look at the Field Map parameter here:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/merge.htm

Also possibly of interest is that the Buffer tool allows you to specify a field value as your buffer size, not just a fixed value.  You should be able to buffer all of your features at once this way, directly into one layer - I don't think merging is even necessary.

CarbonAmerica
New Contributor III

This is great, thank you! I couldn't find where I could input the field as the buffer distance, but I found it now. Thanks so much!

Thanks so much
0 Kudos