Select to view content in your preferred language

Check for polyline orphans in Pro?

02-27-2020 01:09 PM
AllenDailey1
Frequent Contributor

My organization is working on figuring out Data Reviewer and deciding if we want to pursue using it in ArcMap or Pro.  It is interesting that the version of Data Reviewer in ArcMap is so much more extensive, and perhaps a little more intuitive, than in Pro.  Data Reviewer in ArcMap has such extensive geometry checks, for polygons and lines and points, but Pro only has feature-on-feature and cutbacks.  We are in a dilemma of wanting to continue getting used to Pro and creating a Data Reviewer system that we can re-use in future years, which makes us want to use Pro, but then Pro does not have most of the checks we want, so it seems we are going to have to use ArcMap, which is kind of ironic considering the push towards Pro.

Anyway, my question is, is there some way to check for geometry issues such as polyline orphans, polygon slivers, etc. in Pro?  Like with topology rules or network rules?  I have never used the network tools before.  I have been doing a lot of Googling and research but have not been able to answer my questions yet.

Note that some line feature classes we want to check for orphans are not supposed to be connected with point features at all nodes or vertices, so the edge-junction-edge network connectivity rule would not be applicable for us.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't use it, but 

Migration from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro for data validation—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Are you basing the assessment on what you read here?  The opening paragraph suggests that you can use existing resources to get started.  I wonder if is there a trial version that would allow you to check for actual differences

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

You should plan on keeping ArcMap around indefinitely. From Will ArcGIS Pro support creating Data Reviewer batch jobs in the future? "Currently, there are no plans to enable creation or editing of Data Reviewer Batch Jobs in ArcGIS Pro.". It appears if want to continue validating your data with Pro, you're going to have to stand up an ArcGIS server to do so, then teach yourself Arcade. The Data Reviewer tool I'm missing the most in Pro is the non-linear check for lines and polys. 

0 Kudos
JayCary
Esri Contributor

Since Data Reviewer was mentioned, I thought I would chime-in on this discussion.

Unfortunately, you are correct in that not all of Data Reviewer's checks from ArcMap can be authored using ArcGIS Pro (although Reviewer Batch Jobs created in ArcMap can be executed in ArcGIS Pro using GP-based tools - tutorial).

That said, here is a link to the product roadmap that highlights plans for migrating ArcMap capabilities to Pro. A video highlighting integration of Reviewer checks into Attribute rule-based validation workflows in Pro 2.5/Enterprise 10.8 is available here. (btw: Plans for supporting Attribute validation and batch calculation rules in FGDB is on the product roadmap.)

This migration will happen over a number of releases and is prioritized based on customer and Esri solution team feedback. Feel free to provide feedback on how you use Data Reviewer by participating in the customer survey.

Thanks

0 Kudos