Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot offset position of labels on map grid in Layout in ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1

Jump to solution
11-20-2017 08:25 AM
RobWard1
Occasional Contributor

I have added a Map Grid to my Map Frame in ArcGIS Pro and would like the grid labels to be on the inside of the frame. I have managed to offset the position of the ticks to the inside; however, any attempt to offset the coordinate labels does nothing. I've been trying to do it with the following steps:

Format Map Grid > Select 'Labels' from dropdown > Properties > Position > then changing the values of Offset X / Offset Y. Whatever I do, the labels stay in the same position.

Any suggestions welcome!
Many thanks,
Rob

29 Replies
JakubSisak
Honored Contributor

@Kory - it may have been resolved in 2.1 but the bug has been reintroduced in 2.3. I am on 2.3.2. Offset value offsets labels on the north and west differently then east and south.  This is especially apparent when east and west labels have a vertical orientation and north and south labels have a horizontal orientation. there is also something wrong with the offset value text box - it must loose focus to accept a new value otherwise the value entered offsets labels to incorrect value.  The only workaround that works is to have 2 grids; 1 with north and west labels the other with east and south labels.   

0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Honored Contributor

This is marked as ANSWERED but I disagree as the problem of not being able to correctly offset labels on a grid is still present in version 2.3.2. The current workaround is to have 2 of the same grids and offset north and west labels to a different value then east and south labels provided you are aware you must force focus away from the offset text box every time you change and apply value as there appears to be an issue with that as well. 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jakub, 

I'm unable to reproduce the grid label offset issue you have identified using version 2.3.2.  As illustrated in the screenshot below, label offsets for both graticules and measured grids are working as expected for all cardinal directions. This layout is on an ANSI D sized page.

It is possible that there may still be a bug, but we need to be able to reproduce it in order to diagnose and fix the issue. 

Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

The Offset control is also working as expected.  After entering a value into this control you NEED to commit the change. This can be done by pressing Enter if you wish the focus to remain with the control.  We have seen issues with panes, such as the Format Map Grid, losing focus after a property change is committed. We working to address this problem with 2.4.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

JakubSisak
Honored Contributor

HI Tom, 

Thanks for your reply. Doesn't work for me. You can't probably notice it when you offset to an inch.  We need to nudge these offset values by MUCH smaller numbers to fit them inside of double and triple neat-lines for precise cartographic placement.  Here is a screenshot. Made a simple layout, added a random map zoomed in and adjusted the offset to 0.03 positive value for outside of the map frame, then in the second screen shot -0.1 negative value to place these inside the line. You can clearly see that the distance from the map frame is NOT the same for the NORTH and vertical EAST labels. (North and West labels have a different actual offest in the layout than East and South labels even though the offset value for both is the same as it controls the offset for all labels)

Adjusting offset value of tics works correctly. 

When using positive offset value:

When using negative offset value:

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jakub, 

Thanks for the screenshots.  I don't think this is an issue with the size of the offset.  I think this is an issue with the bounding box of the chosen font and how it works with the offset.

Below I've set a similar grid to yours where the label offset is 0.03 in.  The labels are positioned correctly.

Here are labels, with the same 0.03 in offset, using Georgia Bold Italic. I've converted the labels to graphics and selected them to show the bonding box. I've also added a text graphic (same font) with all the numbers to show how the position of the numbers can be different as to their relative position to the top & bottom of the bounding box.  As you can see this results in an inconsistent placement relative to the map frame.

What are the symbol settings for your labels?  What font are you using?  Are there any other settings like call outs?  

If you use a different font for your labels, like Arial (I think this is the default font when you add a grid), do you still see the offset placement difference?

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Honored Contributor

Hi Tom, 

That is in fact the issue.  Switching it to Arial offsets the labels correctly to the same distance.  We use designer fonts such as Myriad Pro, Frutiger, Optima and Cisilpin and other Adobe and drafting fonts such as Conduit ITC.  Every one of those fonts exhibits the incorrect offset issue. I also tried the default Microsoft Calibri font and it also has this issue.  I also tried Currier New, Tahoma, Corbel and others and all of those have the problem. Courier New is interesting because it is a typewriter font and often used by programmers because spacing between letters and font height is guaranteed to be consistent.  Of the few fonts I tried that do work correctly are Arial, Times New Roman, Garamond and Helvetica.  

ArcMap offsets ALL fonts correctly so must be using a different method rather than the edge of the bounding box. If I may suggest offsetting the label using the center of the bounding box rather than the edge may be a better solution.   For now we will use the few fonts that do work for the grids or use 2 grids with different offsets for designer fonts. 

Thanks for your help. 

Using Arial font - no issue:

Using Calibri font - font is offset differently along top (North) and vertical (East) edge:

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jakub, 

Thanks again for the screenshots. I can reproduce with Calibri.

This definitely needs to be investigated and should be considered as a BUG. I think there is enough time to get this resolved for 2.4.  If this is something you want to track would you be able to submit an issue to Technical Support?

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
DataOfficer
Frequent Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2 and am finding issues with Map Grid formatting. Specifically, changing the offset of Labels and Ticks is misbehaving. In Layout view, if I open the Grid properties, I can make one single adjustment to the offset of the ticks or labels which will commit (e.g. a change of 3 mm to 2 mm), but then no further changes will commit. To make further one further change, I either have to close and reopen ArcGIS Pro, or open up another formatting pane (e.g. Format Map Frame), close that then open up the Format Map Grid pane again. This process has to be repeated every time I want to make a single change. 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Data Officer, 

This is not a known issue and in my testing of 2.4.2 I have not been able to reproduce the problem described.  The tick and label components offset as expected.  There may be something specific with your workflow. 

Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
DataOfficer
Frequent Contributor

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes I'll log it with support.

Thanks,
Rob

0 Kudos