Can I preview edit before hitting save?

12-26-2019 08:14 AM
RobCahalan
New Contributor III

I am trying to do some feature editing in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2 of lines and polygons. When I edit the line vertices the edits are not visible until I hit the save button and change extent. Same is happening while I am editing a polygon. If I reshape the polygon, I do not see the "reshaped" geometry until I hit the save button. This is very scary to do since there is know undo. This workflow of edit, save, change extent is not conducive to performing the task of feature editing in Pro. Are there some setting's that are not default that can help with this?

While editing and the feature is selected, the location of the edit is visible

After edit is complete and the selection is cleared and prior to pressing save, the edit is not visible.

This same view is what is seen after pressing the save button and prior to changing extent.

The edit is visible only after the save button is pressed AND the visible extent is changed.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rob,

That's not normal behavior, but sounds similar to what is described in this other thread:

Getting edits to show up immediately ArcGIS Pro  

If clearing the display cache works, good, but you may want to reach out to Esri Technical Support if the issue comes back.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rob,

I'm just following up - have you seen this problem again since the first time? If so, do you frequently work with new feature classes in a File Geodatabase that is stored on a mapped network drive location? If that's the case, we were able to reproduce the issue in this specific scenario. The good news is that it should no longer occur in 2.5 (coming soon).

Thanks,

Scott

MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Really?! That's awesome, our mapped network drives/editing not updating was really holding us back from going full Pro. Please tell people in support because they have no idea what we're talking about when trying to troubleshoot, but this is the exact problem.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to hear you experienced the same issue. If you see any issue like this in this in 2.5 (the next release of ArcGIS Pro), please let me know. I'll be sure to loop back with Tech Support.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
RobCahalan
New Contributor III

I have not tried to make the same edits since my last post. I do work on mapped network drives however. Look forward to the update.