Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I import map annotation groups into ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
08-13-2015 10:37 AM
Syvertson
Occasional Contributor III

I imported a map into ArcGIS Pro.  I have spent significant time getting the annotations just right when it was in ArcMap, but they are not included as far as I can tell in Pro.  Am I missing it, or is there no way to get those imported?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hi Matthew. Thanks for your question. It is not possible to import your map anno groups from ArcMap into Pro. However, as Sona mentions the import log generated when you import an MXD, should include a warning or error message that explains this. I've since logged the following bug to include the appropriate warning messages in this log going forward, to tell users that map anno is not supported:

BUG-000089961 - Importing an MXD containing map annotation, does not produce the expected error mess...

Since it is possible to display geodatabase annotation in Pro, you can Convert graphics to features in ArcMap and add the resulting annotation feature classes to your map in Pro as a workaround. I hope this is helpful!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem, my labels are all lost and its not allowing me to label using the ESRI std engine but if i check the maplex  option it works.

I found the following in the Prohelp ."When you import a map document, you will always get at least one map and one layout, even if you never made any edits in layout view in ArcMap. Each data frame is imported as a separate map. All map layers will be imported, along with their symbology and other layer properties. Symbols are imported, but the .style files used to create your maps in ArcMap will need to be converted separately to the .stylx format used by ArcGIS Pro. The Project pane provides a detailed log of what was imported."

0 Kudos
KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hi Matthew. Thanks for your question. It is not possible to import your map anno groups from ArcMap into Pro. However, as Sona mentions the import log generated when you import an MXD, should include a warning or error message that explains this. I've since logged the following bug to include the appropriate warning messages in this log going forward, to tell users that map anno is not supported:

BUG-000089961 - Importing an MXD containing map annotation, does not produce the expected error mess...

Since it is possible to display geodatabase annotation in Pro, you can Convert graphics to features in ArcMap and add the resulting annotation feature classes to your map in Pro as a workaround. I hope this is helpful!