Select to view content in your preferred language

Automatically create insets using ArcGIS Pro

06-09-2022 07:18 AM
Labels (2)
RyTomlinson
New Contributor

Has anybody had any experience in automatically creating insets using ArcGIS Pro and/or Python? We are looking to modernize our system which currently uses an old custom program. The system allows you to input your data/files and it will automatically determine where (if needed) an inset might be required and generate a separate PDF with those insets. Has anyone else had any experience with automatic inset detection?

Please see Census geography: Maps (statcan.gc.ca) as an example of the maps I would like to produce. Thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I  accomplish that but using polygons to define the Data Driven Page or in the case of Pro the Map series.

Nothing automatic about it but once it was defined it worked great. I used to manage a map book for a client that was 278 pages.  60 at the township level the insets were quarters of a twp, a quarter of the quarter, and a quarter of the quarter of the quarter.  That is Twp, Quarter, Quarter Quarter, and Quarter Quarter Quarter.  I actually had a sixth level what was showing the internals of Switch Banks. 

0 Kudos
RyTomlinson
New Contributor

I appreciate your reply Robert. I am familiar with the Map series and thought about breaking each map into segments as you described, however, the client would prefer the insets as per the example above. It might have to come down to hiring a contractor to develop a new program (as my research suggests there isn't much out there on the topic of automatically detecting insets).

0 Kudos
AnnyaCamykal
New Contributor II

Hi we're trying to use ArcGIS Pro to create a map series with layouts that look like the following  Sample PDF with insets we have over 20 of these similar and different layouts but is having a hard time creating these with ArcGIS Pro. Is this doable? All references to Insets we have seen does not seem to pertain to these types. We would appreciate any help on this.

0 Kudos