Select to view content in your preferred language

Attribute Assistant

Jump to solution
03-06-2024 07:36 AM
Labels (2)
LanceAlley
New Contributor

Hey there,

I am relatively new to the the Attribute Assistant feature of ArcMap/ArcPro. My organization is using this tool through ArcMap. We are in the process of migrating our data editing processes and workflows to ArcPro. My question is, is there an easy way to migrate the attribute rules into ArcPro from ArcMap? Or do we have to rebuild them? Thank you in advance for any insight or  information!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

When it comes to migrating this data, I only really see two cases:

1. Your organization was an avid adopter of Attribute Assistant, and you have lots of rules to migrate.

If this is the case, automation seems at a glance like a great way.  And I'm sure in theory it can be done.  But honestly, if your organization is anything like mine, I'd wager there's also a solid amount of bloat and obsolete entries in that DynamicValue table.

I'd recommend taking the opportunity to rebuild them by hand, even knowing the task is a beast.  It'll give you more familiarity with the differences in the two systems, and—more importantly—it'll make you take a second look at what's still valid and what actually needs to be there.

2. Your organization was a late or minimal adopter of Attribute Assistant, and you don't have that many rules to migrate.

If you don't have many rules to migrate, then there's no real reason not to just rebuild them one at a time in Pro.  The buy-in is basically the same as trying to automate it, and you have more fine control on the outcome, so it's at worst neutral, and more likely in your favor to do it by hand.

The Takeaway:

No matter your situation, just rebuild them manually in Pro.  And I say that as someone who's usually trigger-happy on automation.  There's no real reason not to do it manually, and plenty of reasons not to automate it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
tmichael_wpjwa
New Contributor III

The attribute assistant extension doesn't exist for ArcGIS Pro - what you'll want to start looking at is the Attribute Rule functionality that is configured in the geodatabase:

MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

When it comes to migrating this data, I only really see two cases:

1. Your organization was an avid adopter of Attribute Assistant, and you have lots of rules to migrate.

If this is the case, automation seems at a glance like a great way.  And I'm sure in theory it can be done.  But honestly, if your organization is anything like mine, I'd wager there's also a solid amount of bloat and obsolete entries in that DynamicValue table.

I'd recommend taking the opportunity to rebuild them by hand, even knowing the task is a beast.  It'll give you more familiarity with the differences in the two systems, and—more importantly—it'll make you take a second look at what's still valid and what actually needs to be there.

2. Your organization was a late or minimal adopter of Attribute Assistant, and you don't have that many rules to migrate.

If you don't have many rules to migrate, then there's no real reason not to just rebuild them one at a time in Pro.  The buy-in is basically the same as trying to automate it, and you have more fine control on the outcome, so it's at worst neutral, and more likely in your favor to do it by hand.

The Takeaway:

No matter your situation, just rebuild them manually in Pro.  And I say that as someone who's usually trigger-happy on automation.  There's no real reason not to do it manually, and plenty of reasons not to automate it.