Assigning CRS to a .shpfile and it disappearing

Jump to solution
11-22-2022 12:36 PM
Labels (3)
jahillganvar
New Contributor II

I have a geodatabase polygon with a CRS WGS 1984, a LULC shapefile, and an aerial image both the later not having a specified CRS. I do know the CRS of the aerial image and I am suppose to project the both of the other layers in the aerial image CRS. I succeeded in overlaying the geodatabase polygon over the aerial image. But the LULC file keeps disappearing after I perform a Define Projection. It appears back when I do a Project analysis but the overlay is not happening. And when I try a project again it disappears and Zoom to Layer doesn't work.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Should I create a new coordinate system for this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Then define it.  It will either be correct and line up with other files, or it won't.  You can always define it correctly if you get it wrong the first time. 

Also.  You can delete the *.prj file of the shapefile using your operating system (eg File Explorer) Then you can get back to a truly "UNKNOWN" coordinate system

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You don't use Define Projection unless the layer/file had an unknown coordinate system.  If you define one and it isn't in that coordinate system, it will be defined wrong and vanish.

If you want a file to BE in a different coordinate system, you have to Project it... this applies to both vector and raster data.

So if you have defined it wrong, define it back to what it was, then Project if needed.

An oldie...

Define Projection vs Project... a visual guide - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
jahillganvar
New Contributor II

Yes, the shapefile has an unknown coordinate system.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Then define it.  It will either be correct and line up with other files, or it won't.  You can always define it correctly if you get it wrong the first time. 

Also.  You can delete the *.prj file of the shapefile using your operating system (eg File Explorer) Then you can get back to a truly "UNKNOWN" coordinate system

... sort of retired...
jahillganvar
New Contributor II

Thanks it worked!!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

please close the thread by marking a response correct, so that others with the same problem will know there is a solution

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos