Areal Interpolation Layer to Polygons - "ERROR 040065: Grid cell size is too small."

Jump to solution
01-02-2024 07:35 PM
Labels (1)
MatthewPoppleton
New Contributor II

I am using Areal Interpolation to estimate population size using simulated and real data in the same study area. I've already completed the estimates with the simulated data without issues but have run into an error while using the real data.

The tool "Areal Interpolation Layer to Polygons" interrupts with the error "ERROR 040065: Grid cell size is too small."

I'm using the same input polygon features as I did with my simulated data, so I figure this must be a problem with my input layer. I've googled this error but have not found any related information - could someone clarify this error for me and what can be done to run the tool?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewPoppleton
New Contributor II

It seems the error description on ESRI has a different name "040065: Lattice spacing is too small". Simply put, the lag size I was using for my Areal Interpolation layers was using too much processing power to run the tool. 

The solution for me was to increase the lattice spacing in the Geostatistical Wizard for the Areal Interpolation. It was defaulting to 353, and increasing it to 5000 was enough to let the Areal Interpolation to Polygons tool to run. I'll just have to test it to see what what smaller lag sizes I can run. 

I don't remember the tool having a different name when I first ran into this issue, perhaps the web description has been updated since or the solution just clicked for me after reading it again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MatthewPoppleton
New Contributor II

It seems the error description on ESRI has a different name "040065: Lattice spacing is too small". Simply put, the lag size I was using for my Areal Interpolation layers was using too much processing power to run the tool. 

The solution for me was to increase the lattice spacing in the Geostatistical Wizard for the Areal Interpolation. It was defaulting to 353, and increasing it to 5000 was enough to let the Areal Interpolation to Polygons tool to run. I'll just have to test it to see what what smaller lag sizes I can run. 

I don't remember the tool having a different name when I first ran into this issue, perhaps the web description has been updated since or the solution just clicked for me after reading it again.

0 Kudos