Area Calculations Not Returning Correct Value

Jump to solution
12-14-2022 11:01 AM
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

Can someone explain to me how to get consistent area results from a hosted feature layer?  Below is an example from one of our polygon hosted feature layers.

If I bring a hosted feature layer into Pro and use the Arcade area function or manually calculate the area (which should be sq meters because the hosted feature layer is using Web Mercator) to acres, I get an incorrect value when the map is in Web Mercator.

If I change the coordinate system of the map to State Plane, which is the coordinate system of the source geometry, the Arcade function returns the expected area value, but the manual conversion is still way off, see screenshots below.

Label expression being used in all screenshots

mpboyle_5-1671043865281.png

Arcade function and manual calculation are incorrect when map is in Web Mercator.

mpboyle_4-1671043833350.png

If I change the map to State Plane, the Arcade area function is now showing the expected results, while the manual sq meter to acres calculation is still way off.

mpboyle_6-1671043942527.png

The problem persists to the Map Viewer in AGO.  If I use the Arcade area function, I'm getting an incorrect value because the map viewer is in Web Mercator.

mpboyle_7-1671044262472.png

Is there a reason the Arcade area function is not returning the expected area value when the map is in Web Mercator?  Is there some sort of conversion that needs to be done prior to performing the area function?  Is there a reason the manual sq meter to acres calculation is not correct...? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
4 Replies
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
mpboyle

So...when will Arcade have a Geometry function that supports projecting a feature to a different SRID...?

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
mpboyle

Thank you!  These areas are showing expected values.

mpboyle_0-1671055924184.png

0 Kudos