ArcPro General Function Failure Followed by Crash - Computer Sleep Mode

Jump to solution
01-10-2023 07:51 AM
stevenlom
New Contributor II

This is more of a bug report and an airing of frustration when it comes to workflows that take multiple days in ArcPro, as it appears that when the computer goes into "Sleep Mode" it effectively kills ArcPro functionality. Maybe someone has a solution?

ArcPro 3.0.2 on Windows 10
Dell Precision 7760
128 GB RAM, Intel Xeon W-11855M
San Disk 2TB SSD External (Project Storage)

- It does not matter if it's populated with vector or raster data saved to the project geodatabase.
- I leave my computer for the evening without closing out of ArcPro (i.e., I'm coming back to work on my project in the morning but didn't want to close the program because maybe my data stack takes a long time to load or I really just didn't feel like closing the program).
- Return to work, wake up the computer from "Sleep Mode" and attempt to get back to work in ArcPro.
- Shapefiles won't visualize properly or sometimes at all, open attribute table - "General Function Failure".
- Do anything - "General Function Failure"
- Remove shapefiles from Contents, re-add shapefiles from Project Geodatabase - sometimes works and I can get back to work.
- Other times, attempt to remove and re-add shapefiles, ArcPro crashes.

What is the mechanism for the loss of functionality in ArcPro when work is interrupted by a computer "Sleep Mode" session?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevenlom
New Contributor II

Problem solved.

I just got off the phone with Esri customer service (very pleasantly surprised that they called me and provided real-time customer service with screen sharing. Kudos, Esri.). While we didn't come up with a solution on the phone, I did afterwards. Kind of embarrassing and kind of frustrating that it's a feature, but apparently, I just needed to check the box in ArcGIS Pro to "Authorize ArcGIS Pro to work offline" under the "Licensing" setting. I authorized the offline capability on my.esri.com, but didn't do it in the program. Do it in both places and ArcPro functionality can withstand a computer sleep or lock cycle.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Just some thoughts...

You mention shapefiles. Are they stored locally? If not, do they use a mapped network drive to specify the path to the data? A UNC path instead?

Have you contacted Esri Technical Support?

0 Kudos
stevenlom
New Contributor II

Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to put some thought towards my problem.
Shapefiles are stored in my project geodatabase that is saved on my external SSD, so local storage.

I have not tried to work the problem out with Esri Technical Support yet but will give that a shot now.

Thanks.

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Yeah, it makes sense to work with Tech Support on this one. Perhaps the external drive is a factor.

0 Kudos
stevenlom
New Contributor II

Problem solved.

I just got off the phone with Esri customer service (very pleasantly surprised that they called me and provided real-time customer service with screen sharing. Kudos, Esri.). While we didn't come up with a solution on the phone, I did afterwards. Kind of embarrassing and kind of frustrating that it's a feature, but apparently, I just needed to check the box in ArcGIS Pro to "Authorize ArcGIS Pro to work offline" under the "Licensing" setting. I authorized the offline capability on my.esri.com, but didn't do it in the program. Do it in both places and ArcPro functionality can withstand a computer sleep or lock cycle.