Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcMap & ArcGIS Pro Hardware Recommendations

05-04-2018 12:47 PM
PaulWirth
Occasional Contributor

I need some better recommendations than ESRI gives when it comes to buying a computer at my work for the software I use.

I use ArcGIS Pro and 10.5.1 desktop at the same time running lidar and imagery. My 7 year old laptop keeps crashing because it is maxed out.

What would you recommend for cpu, ram, and video/graphics card? Can I get some help here. ESRI just gives the min.

I am also running lidar software and CAD at the same time.

Please give some specs with your experience.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you look at the hardware requirements here: ArcGIS Pro 2.1 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop you will see that each item has 3 options:  Minimum, Recommended and Optimal

Since you use LiDAR data, you will likely have a large volume of data and a SSD drive will help a lot. If you use LiDAR software, CAD and ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro at the same time, you will have to add additional RAM, especially on your Video/Graphics adapter. 

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Paul,

I agree with Xander and would try going beyond many of the 'optimal' values. I also don't think that having a laptop would be your best bet for what you need. SSD is a must (but it will get pricey and you likely will need lots of room to store large LiDAR files). Do you have a budget you need to work with? For all the tools you use, I am guessing it will be an expensive machine.

0 Kudos