ArcMap 10.5.1 Properties slow

09-04-2017 10:42 AM
JulianJungfels1
New Contributor II

Hi, clicking on  "Properties" results in a wait time of 10 Seconds. ArcMap 10.5.1. Set up new MXD, no big files just aerial photos and shome shapes. 

69 Replies
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

I downgraded to 10.4.x and the problem went away.  Glad to hear that folks are still having issues in 10.6 (kidding).  I am still leery of upgrading.  We have new Dell Precision (6000 - 7000 series) laptops it was happening on, so hardware is definitely not the issue.  Maybe ESRI can figure it out before I am forced to upgrade?  

0 Kudos
MattNash
New Contributor III

After working with ESRI support staff, who by the way were endlessly courteous and seemed sincere in wanting to help, it has been determined that the slow opening of layer properties (and ArcMap Options, scale bar properties, legend properties, etc etc) is due to a "defect", which I guess means bug.  They referred my support request to Development and hopefully the next patch or release will have a fix.

MarkusWall1
New Contributor III

We have the same Issue using 10.5.1 on Windows 10. Using Windows 7 or Server, ArcMap works well. Is there a Issue Number from ESRI for this problem?

0 Kudos
MattNash
New Contributor III

I give up.  Not only is the slow layer properties bug driving me crazy, but several other issues have cropped up with 10.6.  The status bar goes away when in map view.  Trying to change the justification of text objects (left, center, right) has no effect.  Changing legend or scale bar or north arrow properties is agonizingly slow.  Opening the "Options" dialog under "Customize" takes 20+ seconds.  Loading custom styles is not preserved - they go away when I open a new map.  Some maps that I made in earlier versions don't open in 10.6 unless I use MXD Doctor, which literally takes many hours to grind out a solution (I now just leave it running overnight).  ESRI seems to have just kind of shrugged and indicated they'll get around to a fix when they get around to it.  I've asked to be back-graded to 10.4, which is the last version I was using before 10.6.  

0 Kudos
JulianJungfels1
New Contributor II

Still having these exact issues. Even with 10.6 the bug did not disappear, opening proberties or trying to change the scale bar settings taking several seconds. My workaround 2 months ago was basically to go back to ArcMap 9.3.1 - not kidding. I hear from colleagues on entirely new machines, the issue is gone. But I will wait until next year. Switching to Pro was not a solution even with a highend machine because its not running reliable.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I'd recommend you contact Esri Support Services and work with an analyst to troubleshoot the issue.  

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Always a good plan, but I have to say that this year me and all my students are on windows 10, office 365, and opening ArcMap layer properties for all of us is just painfully slow, many other things are fine, but opening layer properties in ArcMap (something one does a lot) can take like 30 seconds. Kind breaks my flow when doing demos in class!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Appears to be BUG-000113336 - Layer properties opens slower in ArcMap 10.5.1 and 10.6 compared to earlier versions.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thank you I will add my name to this (have an open incident I will pass it on).

AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hi all,

this bug is fixed in 10.7 and a patch now available for 10.5.1, to 10.6.1

See here-> ArcGIS Desktop Dialog Initialization Performance Patch

Hope this helps.