ArcGIS Pro - Select By Location Interface

07-31-2017 03:29 PM
FrankSimek1
New Contributor II

I have noticed that the interface for the Select By Location geoprocessing tool restricts the input feature layer prompt to one entry per execution. This makes my workflow very drawn out when I have to use the same selection method for several feature layers in my map.

Is there a possibility that the Input Feature Layer prompt could be updated in the future to provide a list of checkboxes for the layers within the Table of Contents?

This method of checking on/off multiple input layers is prevelant in ArcMap's Select by Location, and also found in a few ArcGIS Pro tools as well (ie Export to CAD).

Side-by-side comparison of the Select by Location tool in ArcMap vs. ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Select by location has no field reference... another tool perhaps?

0 Kudos
FrankSimek1
New Contributor II

Apologies. I didn't mean "field" in terms of an attribute field - instead I was referring to the combo box for the Input Feature Layer prompt. When compared to the Select by Location tool in ArcMap, this prompt takes the place of the Target Layer(s). I'll rephrase my original post and try to provide a graphic. Sorry for the confusion.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think I know what you are talking about now.... checkboxes beside available layers rather than having to select them one at a time.... Yes, I know that several places that implement this procedure (including a select all option) rather than a one-at-a-time selection.  

This would be a design desire... probably for https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=d24d5131-8fa1-40c6-b28c-aa7cdc1...‌ but I suspect you would need to provide examples where this is implemented and show where it could also be, to see if it is an easy design/coding fix or not.

0 Kudos