Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Map Series

Jump to solution
11-06-2023 09:54 AM
mbrehm41
Emerging Contributor

Hello.  This is my first post, and am hoping someone has an answer to my question.  I need to delete an individual page from a map series I have created in ArcGIS Pro.  I want to use the same layer in two different map series, one landscape layout, the other portrait.  I can use Sort Fields to group them within each series, but I want to delete individual pages I don't need after sorting.  Any suggestions?  Thanks so much, and have a great day!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
clt_cabq
Frequent Contributor

Theme definition is the same thing as a definition query, I'm just old and revert back language used way back when we are all about 'thematic mapping' in ArcView 3.x. Just apply a definition query in the properties sheet  for your layer. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
clt_cabq
Frequent Contributor

This sounds like you may have your index grid (or whatever layer you are using to drive pages) set up so it has grids that support both portrait and landscape views? I've done this before - for instance where a polygon boundary served as the grid cell, some polygons may be suitable for a portrait layout (roundish or longer N-S) while others needed a landscape orientation (wider E-W) to maintain scale and other stuff. One way you can approach this is add a attribute to indicate if a grid cell is portrait or landscape, then put a them definition on them in each map you are making a series for. This starts to get complex if you are using page numbers, or if you are using page queries but that usually is usually pretty manageable. Always remember to make your index grid a separate layer that you 'turn off' in your map, even if you are showing it else where turned on, and use that turned off layer to drive your pages.

mbrehm41
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for your reply!  I have added a field to the layer that calls out whether it should be in "P"ortrait or "L"andscape, and used Sort Fields in the Map Series to group them accordingly.  I was just wondering if there is a way to remove the pages I don't need from the two different series?  Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
leahmaps
Frequent Contributor

Can you copy your data set into two, one for "P" and one for "L" (I suggest adding some kind of naming convention to the layer name).

Then, you should be able to use the definition query to only return P pages in the P layer and L pages in the L layer - then export them as needed.

0 Kudos
mbrehm41
Emerging Contributor

That is an excellent suggestion!  Unfortunately, my employer wants to only have one data set that we use, and create different map series off of them.  That is why I'm trying to find a way to filter out the ones we don't want in each series.  I can use Sort Fields, but I was wondering if there is a method for removing pages from a map series after it has been created.

0 Kudos
clt_cabq
Frequent Contributor

I am guessing you have two different map series.. put the same layer in each.  Create a theme definition in the portrait series where "series type = 'P' " and in the landscape series it would be "series type = 'L' ". When you do this, the map series will only use the P or L  defined polygons. This way you don't create 'extra' pages that need to be deleted. 

0 Kudos
mbrehm41
Emerging Contributor

That would solve my problem.  Where do I create a theme definition in ArcPro?  Should I create a definition query in the source layer, or should I use the Map Series Page Filter?  In either case, I'll have to add a field, (Layout Type = P or L), to define the appropriate series in which the pages will be created.  Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
clt_cabq
Frequent Contributor

Theme definition is the same thing as a definition query, I'm just old and revert back language used way back when we are all about 'thematic mapping' in ArcView 3.x. Just apply a definition query in the properties sheet  for your layer. 

mbrehm41
Emerging Contributor

Thank you so much clt_cabq!  That seemed like the most likely path I needed to take, but it helps tremendously to get feedback from others.  Cheers!

0 Kudos
BobGriest
Emerging Contributor

Good luck on that. I've been trying every day for 11 years straight just attempting to find a way to delete anything!

0 Kudos