ArcGIS Pro License Activity needs more information

Jump to solution
08-18-2020 10:10 AM
WilliamBuerger
Occasional Contributor

I am in the middle of performing a lot of processing and testing and ran into a situation where I tried to open Pro on a system and got the license error "The account could not be used to sign in because you have exceeded the maximum number of allowed sessions."  I did have 3 sessions open so I closed one.  But I still continued to get this message.  I checked the license activity which showed 3 active sessions.  But there's no information that helps me to understand which session is coming from which system.  I have very important work running so I am very leery of killing off one in case it's the important one.  It would be very helpful if there was a system name or IP address or anything that would help identify which session is which.

I restarted the system that had the third session and then tried opening Pro on that again and it opened fine.  After closing it again, it finally released the license so I was able to get in on the other system I needed.  Again, it sure would be nice to have an easy way to see which sessions I have active on which systems.  And I happen to be an admin on our license management.  A normal user would have no way to know this that I can see and would have no choice but to contact their admin to know what their status is and would still have no way of knowing which systems are causing the problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

William,

Based on your description, it appeared you're using a Named User license to run Pro.  As you mention, you can start 3 separate Pro session per license.  If you go to the Licensing tab within Pro, there is an option to edit the Workstation Alias.  By default, it is "ArcGISPro_with some numbers"  This is one of the information displayed when viewing which Pro is using the license.  You can edit the Workstation Alias within Pro to change to a more meaningful name.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

William,

Based on your description, it appeared you're using a Named User license to run Pro.  As you mention, you can start 3 separate Pro session per license.  If you go to the Licensing tab within Pro, there is an option to edit the Workstation Alias.  By default, it is "ArcGISPro_with some numbers"  This is one of the information displayed when viewing which Pro is using the license.  You can edit the Workstation Alias within Pro to change to a more meaningful name.  

0 Kudos
WilliamBuerger
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, this is helpful.  I would think using the system name would be more useful than some random numbers.  But at least I know how to track down these systems now.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

There is https://community.esri.com/ideas/11575 over on the ArcGIS Ideas site which sounds like what you're asking for...

0 Kudos